Solved

Why does Webroot dislike Tor browser and will not allow download ?

• 10 December 2015
  • 9 replies

Why does Webroot dislike Tor browser and will not allow download ?
icon

Best answer by JamesG 11 December 2015, 00:02

View original

9 replies

Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Can you please tell me what Webroot message/error you get when trying to download?

Thanks,

bd
Webroot puts an unsafe flag on the Website
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Doesn't block TOR here.....................where are you trying to download from?

Whoops................................sorry BD. Didn't mean to overide your question. I'm just to slooooooooooow!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

You will have to ask to get it changed here if they will: http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/change-request-url-reputation.php

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Hi ?,

The annotations (Check marks) provided are based on the website reputation. In the case of Tor, because of the nature of the users and information available on Tor there is a high chance that you could encounter malicious content.

Edited 12/10 9:45pm CST: My apologies for my error here. I was simply giving my opinion on why the website might be blocked by Webroot. When I see a red annotation in a search I suspect it is for a good reason (as JamesG has pointed out). I was also under the impression/misconception that Tor was used for primarily nefarious reasons by drug dealers, pedophiles, oranized criminals, etc. and thought that may be the reason for the block.

Having said that, if you want to proceed to the site you can. When you get the warning click on the "Tell me more about it" button. After that you will be given the option to "Unblock page and continue."

Hope this info helps,

bd

Userlevel 7
Just to chime in here. 

I am seeing that flagged as well, but in our system I see:

I am going to reach out to our team directly to determine what is occurring here.

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Just to chime in here. 

I am seeing that flagged as well, but in our system I see:

I am going to reach out to our team directly to determine what is occurring here.

Regards,
Yea @ will like to know!
Hi ?

Hi Lyle,

Was just wondering if you were getting the red "x" annotation and warning from Webroot when you do a Google search/ try to enter site for Tor browser? With you being in Canada I was just wondering if this made any difference.

Edit: I see that Daniel is also getting the red annotation so I think I already have the answer, sorry. :$

Thanks,

Jon
Userlevel 7
Hello everyone,

I just got off the phone with one of our team members that handles this and apparently torproject.org is classified as a 10 in our system as opposed to an 81 which is what I saw. The reason for this is because it is considered a proxy, and many large employers would not like employees navigating to this site.

There is quite a bit of back and forth on our end in regards to this and it may change in the future(hopefully) ;)

In regards to Tor itself, that is a safe website to navigate to and if you want to continue to it, when the block comes up simply click "Tell me more about it" and then click "Unblock page and continue." This should create an override on your machine and while the search results will still show the red annotations, the site should no longer get blocked upon navigation.

I will update this thread once I know more or if we make a change to this.

Regards,