Why is typing slow in Safari?

• 24 May 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
When I was born, I was very young... not that far back? This started when checkmarks disappeared on my mac os x v 10.10.5. That problem is resolved.

After that problem was resolved, characters typed into Safari Version 9.1.1 (10601.6.17) started being typed back on the screen at a rate of about 1/sec (or slower).The slow "character return" always happens when I try to login to my bellsouth.net account and login to other accounts on other websites. It does not happen when I type in a Yahoo, Bing or Google search string. The problem does exist when I search for something on karaoke-version.com

In Safari preferences > autofill, no autofill, no password storage, preferences > search, default search engine is Google, no Smart Search fields are checked. Under Preferences > Security all the boxes are checked. there is an error message under "Fraudulent Sites" "The Google Safe Browsing Service is unavailable. No updates have occured in 1 day". I have had this problem for several days. Unchecking all the boxes does not fix the problem.

"About Secure Anywhere Version 9.0.1.31:431" says  "Installed Web Filtering Package Version: 1.0.4.10". Safari says: Webfilter 1.0.4.10". When I uncheck "Enable Webfilter", THE PROBLEM GOES AWAY (I'm happy, not shouting) typing gets echoed back as fast as it is typed in. A previous tech had to force the update of Webfilter in Safari to the current version.

BTW, Chrome has "Webroot Filtering Extension Mac 1.0.2.42". I have no problems with Chrome.

Previous update deleted.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello BillSwinson,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I have a Mac with the Webroot Webfilter running without any issues.

Would you like to do a reinstall of Webroot sand see if this corrects the problem that you are having? If so I can provide the exact details how to uninstall/reinstall or you can
Submit as Support Ticket and they will gladly look into this for you.

I've been having the same problem in the last week or so. Disabling the plugin and restarting Safari "solves" the problem (as you know) but I'm going to try to reinstall tonight and see what happens. Honestly Webroot is the only software where reinstalling ever does anything:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi there Galgomite,

Usually a reinstall does fix these issues. I Beta test Webroot and i find reinstalling has fixed many issues. But that's beside the point I guess. Support can certainly take care of this for you but I am sure they will have you do a reinstall. So you can indeed wait until they contact you once you submit a support ticket. 😃