Solved

Windows 7 System Volume Information Directory

• 30 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi,

Can WSA scan the System Volume Information (SVI) directory on any had drive?  Should I start in Safe Mode and do the WSA scan or is that even possible in Safe Mode?  Should I simply delete the SVI directory and have Windows re-create it on the next bootup or is this a disaster going that route?

Chris
icon

Best answer by DanP 30 November 2016, 16:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi cstocci

As to whether WSA scan the System Volume Information (SVI) directory automatically is one question & that probably needs an answer from the Webroot professional; @ would you be able to assist on this one?

In terms of scanning on any hard drive WSA will only automatically scan the System drive, i.e., where the OS is installed. The scanning of other hard drives would need to be done manually.

There should be no need to start in Safe Mode.

It is used by the System Restore and Indexing Services. If you do not use either, you can delete the folder, but why would you want to? Is it causing problems? Rather than delete it I would just turn the services off which should top it being used.

But personally, I would not touch the SVI directory. 

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hello,

WSA can scan the System Volume Information folder, yes. Deleting the System Volume Information folder is not recommended. You can delete all system restore points in the System Restore options and Disk Cleanup has a feature under the More Options tab to remove older system restore points.

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Dan...as always the professional view point is most welcome.

Regards, Baldrick