Solved

crypto variant

• 15 November 2016
  • 3 replies

My system was infected by a Crypto Variant virus. The virus was removed, but some of my files were infected (encrypted). How can I decrypt my files so they are usable again?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 15 November 2016, 19:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Karinga

Welcome to the Community Forums.

In general once an necryption by this sort of malware has taken place it is usually impossible to decrypt the encrypted files without the approrpiate key that the malweare author responsible is looking to 'sell' you for the privilege.

Having said that there are some instances of ransomware that are not as undeciperable as others, without the key, but this is something that we have no knowledge of here and if you want to check that route you will need to Google for it.

But, if you are a actively subscribed WSA user I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket to ask the professionals on the Support Team what they advise/if they have any knowledge of how to achieve what yo are looking for. I doubt they will have, for the aforementioned reasons, but you never know until you ask.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick,
The information you provided is helpful. I'll decide what future steps I'll take.
My best,
Karinga
Userlevel 7
Hi Karinga

You are most welcome...please do keep us posted as to what you decide and what transpires as and when you contact the Support Team...and if we can be of further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Baldrick