do I have to remove Norton before I install webroot ?

• 8 August 2015
  • 1 reply

Do you have to remove norton before I install webroot

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi c39

Welcome to the Community Forums.

An oft asked question the answer to which is 'NO'. WSA is designed from the outset to work hand in hand/to be compliant with the vast majority of the other major security apps on the market; essentially WSA will cede to the other app but jump in if it detects something that needs to be stopped, etc.

The question is really do you need to run Norton if you are running WSA and the answer to that is also, IMHO, 'NO'.  WSA will do as good, if not a better...;), job than Norton, and by running both on your system all yo are doing is adding drag/using up system resources.

However, as they will run together you do have the option of turning one off to compare itagainst the other and vice versa, before deciding how to proceed.

I should point out though that if you do turn off Norton, either permanently or just temproraily you do need to make sure that you check that the Windows built in Firewall is enabled; WSA provides a firewall that covers the outbound connections but leaves the inbound connections to the Windows built in Firewall, as that does a very good job.

Hope that helps?  Please feel free to ask further questions if required.

Regards, Baldrick