easyregistryhelp.com and pcfixing3.com

• 29 April 2015
  • 5 replies

I'm having problems with easyregistryhelp.com and pcfixing3.info popups. Webroot says I have no threats but they pop up almost every day when a site tries to open in a new window (not a new tab, but new window).  Sometimes they hijack my internet and I have to close down my entire computer to get out of it.  I can't find any odd named software to uninstall.  This happens with both Chrome and FireFox, altho Webroot does detect a problem and alets me in FireFox but doesn't find a threat when scanning my computer.  Help!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome top the Community Forum,

These popup windows take over your screen and can’t be closed. If you click or place any cursor on the selected words, they are double underlined, in addition, you can see it may trigger a new page and jump out on your visiting pages. So your computer will be override with a lot of Easyregistryhelp.com pop-ups which interrupt your web browsing online.

The Pcfixing3.info pop-ups are caused by an ad-supported extension for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, which is distributed through various monetization platforms during installation. The malicious browser extensions is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program.

What you are seeing and describing is what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.

Please reset your Chrome and Firefox browsers. This should help as well.

For Chrome:

• In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu [img]https://lh4.ggpht.com/IB7eZ2ht1pEixChJA4xp6iejr1xw3rXY_yJNeHgHajBRTzLB0ldIpEFje8gyeB4ydp6xpQpJ=w18-h18[/img]
  • Select Settings.
  • At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  • Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  • In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
For Firefox:

1. Click the menu button and then click help .
  2. From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information. ...
  3. Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  4. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Thanks Sherry!  I have reset my browsers many times.  Works for a few days but then they are back.  I'll submit a trouble ticket.
Userlevel 7
If it comes back after a few days then I would look at your browsing habits, a website you visit regularly either has a bad advert link in it or a search link is directing to a shady site. Install a Ad-blocker it helps with this type of pop-up 
Every time I try to ad an adblocker it says a third party is not allowing it.  I thought it was Webroot.  How do I get around this?  What adblocker do you recommend?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Try this one for Chrome and Firefox!

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock/

I really like this Ad Blocker!

Daniel 😉