Solved

how can i block a service or file from internet by firewall?

• 25 June 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi

i want block this service( i saw it in task manager ) : Microsoft Word

that is using internet 7/24 😃 !

so Webroot could help me plz?:D

Regards,
Parham
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 25 June 2016, 10:58

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Parham

Hope that you are well?

One can block a process that is running via 'Control Active Processes' but actually blocking a service per se I believe that you will need to either prevent the service from running using msconfig, or if you do not want to do that as it needs to run then you will need to configure outbound connection protection.

If you are running Windows 7 or below you should be able to do that under 'Shields & Firewall' > 'View Active Connections'...look for the connection by WINWORD.EXE (I presume that is what you are referring to) & set it's status to 'Block' but if you are running a version later than Windows 7 you should first try to uninstall/clean reinstall WSA (without importing previous settings) so as to reset the outbound connections. All being well when you next run Word and it tries to connect you will be prompted by WSA to 'Allow once', 'Allow always' or 'Block', etc.

Alternatively, you could also add a specific outbound connection rule to the Windows Firewall, again for Word, to prevent it communicating.

Having said all of that, if you are running Windows 10, and this is one of the 'phone home' elements that we have heard so much about then you may want to see about trying to switch off  it may be that you can switch off the elements that could sensibly be viewed as referring to Word; communications such as sharing of handwriting data, sharing of handwriting error reports, etc.

Some of these can be disabled from within the Settings part of Windows but control of these is not granular so you may need to download & install one of the freeware apps that have sprung up to help control these 'phone home' elements.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
thank you for the answer dear Baldrick

so in fact i cannot block internet usage by Microsoft word in windows(10) with Webroot Firewall , is that correct?

Regards,Parham
Userlevel 7
Hi Parham

Yes, and No...as I said in my prior post...you will need to configure outbound connections approrpiately, but the only way to do so as far as I know is to stop the process involved from communicating...but the issue resides around which version of WIndows yo uare running as in more recent versions the ability to granularly control outbound connections has been removed (long story as to why), hence why I suggested the differences approach I did depending on the version of Windows yo are running.

Hopefully how to proceed to try is clear, from what I have posted?

Windows 7 or below: 'Shields & Firewall' > 'View Active Connections'...look for the connection by WINWORD.EXE (I presume that is what you are referring to) & set it's status to 'Block'.

Windows 8 or above: first try to uninstall/clean reinstall WSA (without importing previous settings) so as to reset the outbound connections. All being well when you next run Word and it tries to connect you will be prompted by WSA to 'Allow once', 'Allow always' or 'Block', etc.

And if that does not resolve the issue then you will most likely need to get into the WIndows Firewall directly and set up a new outbound connection rule manually.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
i block that connection by windows firewall ( outbound ) problem solved.

Regards,Parham
Userlevel 7
Hi Parham

Great to hear that the issue is resolved for you. :D That is what we like here...a positive result. ;)

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Baldrick