Solved

how do i remove threats permanently?

i have scanned about 5 times the last 30 mins and i always get 13 threats removed but since i still have have those threats on the next scan im thinking that it is not removing the threat. (note: i also got notified about a threat that could not be removed and linked me to a website for help not sure what was it since the link did not work).

this is the file or threat that keeps constantly showing up
FILTERAPP_C64.EXE Pua.Adware.Gen

icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 20 April 2014, 01:58

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello AliQ8, and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Could you please check in Program files or Control Panel if you see a Program called GrabRez?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You should contact Webroot support in this instance but if you cannot wait here is my answer:

You installed junk on your computer that appears to be regenerating via other components.
Go through your installed programs and uninstall any programs you installed recently or that you agreed to install when installing something else. In paticular, look for something called "BrowseMark" or "LinkSwift"
If you're not sure about a program, google the name and see what its reputation is.
Userlevel 7
Hi AliQ8

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_welcometoourclan.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_welcometoourclan.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_welcometoourclan.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_welcometoourclan.gif

Let's take the easy one first; FILTERAPP_C64.EXE Pua.Adware.Gen...what has been detected in this case is a PUA (also know in other circles as a PUP) or Potentially Unwanted Application.  Please take a look at this article for information on how to remove PUAs (and also explains Webroot policy/approach to PUAs).

In terms of the "threat that could not be removed", in some case WSA will encounter a threat/piece of malware that it is better handled by direct intervention from the Support Team.  I am surprised that the link did not work...so what I would do is Submit a Support Ticket explaining what has occurred (including the link not working) so that the Support Team can take a look at this and assist with removal (submission of the Support Ticket will automatically send Support a Scan Log so they should have a lot of the technical information required once the ticket is opened.

Whilst dealing with them I would also mention the the recurring 13 threats.  Hopefully, whilst dealing with the threat that could not be removed they should be able to look into this as well and resolve it for.  Please note that whilst Support work 24/7 it is the weekend and so responses may not be as quick as usual.

Well, I hope that helps?  Please post back and let us know how you get on, etc.  This information is very helpful to the Community in assisting users in the future.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Hi AliQ8

There are in fact a number of other programs which contained the file name FilterApp_C64.exe; these include 

Meg Browse
Webspades
SizlSearch
BrowseMark

which is one reason why I would recommend contacting Support in this instance, especially if you do not feel confident with trying to undertake the removal yourself.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello AliQ8 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Reset the Protection Statistics and do another scan: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C11_ReportsandViewers/CH11c_ViewingProtectionStatistics.htm and let us know if all is cleared!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Thanks for the help the last scan i did found no threats after doing what you told me to do.
i check and i did not have that program.
I found out the source of the threat as soon as i downloaded it but after i erased it using "permanantly erase using webroot" and uninstalling the program i still had the threats after scanning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ Why does that work, is it a bug?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I do not think it happens often, but I have seen TH use that before with success.  To be quite honest, I had quite completly forgotten about trying that as I have not seen it used for a number of months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@   It's the only way to clear the Threats remove before. When you remove Threats users make a mistake that it keeps removing the same infection which is not the case it's showing all threats removed since WSA was installed so to clear that window you do a Reset the Protection Statistics it removes the info from the Main GUI also from the after scan Window! Also WSA always had this feature but since the 2012 release it has moved places to make GUI cleaner!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
I do not think it happens often, but I have seen TH use that before with success.  To be quite honest, I had quite completly forgotten about trying that as I have not seen it used for a number of months.
I use it all the time to clear how many scans as mine always says 0 scans!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
OH... now I get it.  I was just waking up... and just did not understand clearly.  (But I have not had to mention it often at all... so I tend to forget about the fact users think the cumulative stats are the results from the last scan...)

My mistake 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Right on!

Daniel 😉