Solved

"Enhanced" Ransomware protection

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
What's different / new about the "Enhanced" Ransomware protection mentioned on the product website?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 25 May 2016, 10:58

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi cavehomme

I am afraid that we will never know as Webroot are no about to tip their had to the malware writers by letting them know what defenses WSA includes to counter/protect us from their nefarious endeavours.

We just have to trust in WSA and Webroot when they say that WSA has 'Enhanced Ransomware Protection'.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I understand the lack of transparency to a certain extent but hope there would be some explanation. Putting our trust into one product or company is not something I would do personally, especially as there are reports on this forum that some ransomware has slipped by WRSA or caused damage that was monitored by WRSA but which could not be reverted.
Userlevel 7
Understand where you are coming from but even the slightesst indication of exactly what the defense do can give the malwaare writers a foothold with which to try to circumvent the defenses...so I suspect that Webroot will not change its policy on this one.

And as for reports 'that some ransomware has slipped by'...well, no security app is 100% effective 100% of the time...not even WSA.

Your best bet to try to illicit answers is to open a support ticket...good luck with that.

Regards, Baldrick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
If you look, for example, at the results WSA has achieved in the MRG 360 tests, particularly against ransomware, you will see supporting evidence of how effective WSA is.  

I was trying to find a post I made about how positive MRG's findings(and comments) were in this respect, but could not find exactly what I sought....wish one could make a detailed search of one's posts. If I find the comments, I'll post the reference.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
OK thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
OK thanks
Still can't find the forum post, but part of it (from memory} can be found on page 5 of the Q2 2015 report, where they said that in internal tests WSA was able to undo the encryption etc.  MRG – Our Projects    

And I think it's fair to say that WSA has even improved since then ;) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Their latest 2016 Q1 reports look very good for for Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Indeed, Dermot...but even Webroot would admit that they cannot guarantee 100% remediation of ransomware activity 100% of the time...specifically because as quick as Webroot are in updating ENZO there is very occassionally a 'gap'...but even with that WSA has your back for the very vast majority of the time...;) 
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Interesting that in finalcial malware detection according to those MRG 2016 Q1 tests, Webroot and Microsoft are essentially neck and neck. Where Webroot pulls way ahead and becomes a winner is with the monitoring and isolation as well as locking down the banking connection. Perhaps one day MS might buy Webroot 😉
Userlevel 7
Well, anything is possible...assuming that the offer/money is right...but let us hope thatsuch a things is a long, long, long way off. ;)