spyware

• 30 October 2015
  • 3 replies

does webroot employ a spyware and adware program?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I can first tell you what WSA does do...

Spyware are programs that fall under the catagory of malware. Malware is a term that can be used to describe a wide range of software that is written for malicious purpsoses and which can cause various types of problems to your computer system. Malware can range from spyware and adware to viruses and worms.

As an initial and high level answer please look at this link that provides the basic difference between the THREE version of WSA and what protection they offer.

If you need more sepecific information then please look at this link and as this is an often asked question; what protection against keyloggers, etc., please see this screenshot below that identifies the protection provided in this area:

WSA's Shield's have a look here to see where WSA gets all it's information from: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Hi 9744

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may jump in and ask as to why you are asking is Webroot 'employs' a spayware and adware program?  I am a bit confused by the question. If you meant does Webroot software, i.e. WSA protect you from spaware & adware then I believe that Sherry's reply has covered the salient points.  But if you meant something else then please post back.

I should point out that protection from adware...which is effectively desseminated by PUAs (or Potentiall Unwanted Applications) is a moot point and you will hear a great deal about what is and what is not a PUA.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Everything is covered under the word Malware! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Daniel ;)