webfoot cannot connect to internet to complete scan, but its on the internet

• 3 September 2014
  • 9 replies

When attempting to scan I receive the message:

The scan failed. SecurityAnywhere cannot reach the internet to obtain threat information.  

Yet when I click Read Now tab to figure it all out it takes me directly to the internet.  

How to I get it to scan?  This has been going on for days now.  I have had Webroot for nearly a year without problems.  I am using a MacBook Air OS X 10.9.4

Pat

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi pgilardi and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you're encountering a problem. Please visit Customer Support and submit a trouble ticket with them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
When attempting to scan I receive the message:

The scan failed. SecurityAnywhere cannot reach the internet to obtain threat information.  

Yet when I click Read Now tab to figure it all out it takes me directly to the internet.  

How to I get it to scan?  This has been going on for days now.  I have had Webroot for nearly a year without problems.  I am using a MacBook Air OS X 10.9.4

Pat

Welcome Pat to the Communiy Forum!
Sorry for your issues and inconvience!

Would you please do a uninstall and reinstall of Webroot?

To fully uninstall the application from the Mac, simply move the icon from the Application's menu to the trash. After doing so, you will be prompted to 'Uninstall' the program. By confirming this window you will remove the additional information from the Mac Library where we store some of the files needed, including the log data. 

Mac - How to Install SecureAnywhere

You can install SecureAnywhere on Mac OS X 10.7 and above. An Internet connection is required to install the software.

To install the software:

1. Click here to download the SecureAnywhere installer to your Mac.  
  2. Double-click wsamac.dmg to open the installer.  
  3. Drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon into the Applications folder. [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2810i9617C3D49A8CF46E.png[/img]  
  4. In the first activation window, enter your keycode and click Activate. [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2818iD3947C20F145E984.png[/img]  
  5. If prompted, confirm the installation by entering your Apple system password and click OK.

Now it's time to create your account:

1. You only need to create an account if you plan to use the Password Management feature (see Getting started with the Password Manager for more information). Or, you can click Skip and create an account later. [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2822i0E68C31072D5EE9D.png[/img]  
  2. In the next panel, you can install a Safari extension that allows SecureAnywhere to tag search results as safe, questionable, or unsafe. With this extension, SecureAnywhere lets you know if a website has a reputation for spreading malware or for phishing attempts. We recommended that you click the Install Safari Extension button. [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2826iCDAB0A7613827BE9.png[/img] If you installed both extensions, two Webroot icons appear in the browser toolbar. The example below shows how the icons appear in Safari and Chrome; the icons in Firefox look slightly different. (You can hover your mouse over the icons for pop-up descriptions.) [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2830iF7256BBD84270D6C.png[/img]This icon indicates that the Web Threat shield is enabled. For more information, see Using the Web Threat Shield.  [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/2834iC0ABC6C5D6EA8CD1.png[/img] in your menu bar.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Great, clear instructions. Having similar problem but put ticket in so I can retain previous passwords and settings. I have a Mac too. Just wondering--for those of us who do not use Safari as default browser--if that is a factor in WR's connection confusion?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Great, clear instructions. Having similar problem but put ticket in so I can retain previous passwords and settings. I have a Mac too. Just wondering--for those of us who do not use Safari as default browser--if that is a factor in WR's connection confusion?
Hello practicality,

I use Safari, Chrome and  FF without any issues with connections with WR. Fortunately!;)

. So please let us know what support tells you so we can help other Mac users.

Thank you,
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
"Webfoot"?...Really?! LOL Thanks Sherry--that's exactly why I took the time to post. (I also posted to a similar question...I really DO care about others.) Pretty sure it is an installation issue (though I followed all directions and let WRComplete do the upgrade automatically). I can add that after install I had no notice--except to re accept my Safari extensions (Firefox is my default browser so hope the same happened there and that I am not just running two seperate versions). Especially notable is that WR did not run a scan after. Protection is enabled though. WR sent this: RE:upgrade WR PLUS Mac to WR Complete Mac 2year without losing Passwords and settings? Hello, Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. Our apologies for any inconvenience. For the issue you are reporting, we would like to work with you directly over the phone to resolve this as quickly as possible. The keycode is not activated, that often means there has been problems with installing. We would like to work over the phone with you on making sure our software was installed correctly. You can call us or we can arrange a scheduled call. Webroot’s US hours of availability are 7AM – 5PM MST, Monday through Friday. Please let us know your phone number, your time zone, and the best time frame to reach you during our hours so that we may contact you by phone. For contact information in other countries, click here. When the Contact Us page opens, click the tab for the country that works best for you. Sincerely, The Webroot Support Team Something went wrong during upgrade...some sequence did not register the new key across the board (In manage account screens I saw that old key was input and greyed out so I could not change it). Next, I will work with WR and keep you posted. Best wishes, Dawn
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
"Webfoot"?...Really?! LOL Thanks Sherry--that's exactly why I took the time to post. (I also posted to a similar question...I really DO care about others.) Pretty sure it is an installation issue (though I followed all directions and let WRComplete do the upgrade automatically). I can add that after install I had no notice--except to re accept my Safari extensions (Firefox is my default browser so hope the same happened there and that I am not just running two seperate versions). Especially notable is that WR did not run a scan after. Protection is enabled though. WR sent this: RE:upgrade WR PLUS Mac to WR Complete Mac 2year without losing Passwords and settings? Hello, Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. Our apologies for any inconvenience. For the issue you are reporting, we would like to work with you directly over the phone to resolve this as quickly as possible. The keycode is not activated, that often means there has been problems with installing. We would like to work over the phone with you on making sure our software was installed correctly. You can call us or we can arrange a scheduled call. Webroot’s US hours of availability are 7AM – 5PM MST, Monday through Friday. Please let us know your phone number, your time zone, and the best time frame to reach you during our hours so that we may contact you by phone. For contact information in other countries, click here. When the Contact Us page opens, click the tab for the country that works best for you. Sincerely, The Webroot Support Team Something went wrong during upgrade...some sequence did not register the new key across the board (In manage account screens I saw that old key was input and greyed out so I could not change it). Next, I will work with WR and keep you posted. Best wishes, Dawn
Hello Dawn,

Thank you so much for that information and updating us.. The Webroot Support team will get you all fixed up and you will be good as new!

Have a nice day Dawn!:D

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
I called tech support to fix problems since upgrading to WSA Complete Mac. To recap: My old PLUS ran out after purchase of Complete. The shipper did not email a key so I waited for disc in mail.  WR support temp extended my old license so I could transfer Passwords.  No complaint with customer and tech support.  All should have been fine but I think Mac prevented a connection--vital for WSA updates--till their weekly validity check corrected the problem.

After upgrade, WSA shields were up but no scan would work--not even post-install.  I ran a scan--to repeat the error message for tech support...and the scan worked!  Could not keep the tech on hold while searching for an answer.  So will call again if problems persist.  Later, noticed in activity monitor: "WRBackNSync (Not Responding)" and when I click on it in online console an empty page loads that says: "Invalid Context.".  But I really haven't finished setting it up and security is first for me.

So what happened?!  I am not qualified to say.  And since my hunger for knowledge has been known to incite the patronizing and pompous "Genius" types I am not eager to say.  (Don't see ANYONE here like that but you know the type who don't answer questions, who instead, remind you to never touch the registry?  Well before I moved on to Mac, I touched my registry all over--and I liked it.)  But I found some WR Community members with similar problems and said I would share whatever I found...so I looked in Console and logs and one problem may be because Mac blocked my WSA update.

Review of logs (Activity Monitor/select options/then run system diagnostics) were of interest for Mac's App Store.  WSA and all updates are controlled there and since Mac's validity check is not done till Thursday currently--my upgrade was not accepted till Mac's catalog was updated--right before I called WSA tech support today!  (I DO appreciate that Mac keeps things simple and working...but can't be the passive user they may prefer.)

Random Log Details:  

"SoftwareUpdate: Fired early. Should check=FALSE...

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient...

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdate_notify_agent (501)[715]: AssertionMgr: Cancel com.apple.softwareupdate.NotifyAgentAssertion assertion for pid 715

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=715, uid=501, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/softwareupdate_notify_agent)

Oct  9 00:36:44 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Proceed with full scan based on intervening install (including Webroot for Mac OS X at 2014-10-08 21:06:55 +0000) (last scan: 2014-10-08 08:30:11 +0000)...

SoftwareUpdate: Catalog Not Modified since last scan..."  

Then Mac's catalog updated and without notice, Mac allowed WSA to update.  

Research leads to a dead end when an OP forgets to share how the problem was resolved.  So I shared my thoughts based on the info I have at present.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Don't know about the OP but my security issue was quickly resolved. (If I still see "WRBackNSync (Not Responding)" after I finish setting that up, will contact WR about that specifically). I wanted to understand what happened and gave an opinion but promised to share any solution for the security issue. WR Tech support did not agree so it's important to share their response and solution: "Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team had been notified of this issue and currently this issue is resolved. This issue was related to the infrastructure that Webroot uses and is not related to the program on your computer nor the computer itself."

The scan failed. SecurityAnywhere cannot reach the internet

​​​​​​​I have done everything suggested here and with two tickets I raised with webroot.  They have stopped responding so I am hoping to get some insight here.