cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webroot seems to be causing kbdclass.sys bsod in win10 with ms keyboard

webroot seems to be causing kbdclass.sys bsod in win10 with ms keyboard. any key stroke causes crashes need a fix

30 REPLIES
Gold VIP

Re: webroot seems to be causing kbdclass.sys bsod in win10 with ms keyboard

Hi adamusncgfp

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have not come across WSA as the cause of this and would suggest that you check out this thread from the MS Support Forums, on this subject to see if it is of any help.

If you have tried temprarily shutting down WSA and find that the crashes stop then you can try an uninstall/clean reinstall of WSA to see if a faulty installation my have been causing the issue. If you want to try that then please follow the steps below closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer; to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

and try your keyboard again.

Post back to let us know how you have got on/if the issue is resolved or not.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

This is a known issue with Webroot right now. Contact support and they'll provide you with a registry file as a work around until they fix it in Webroot itself. 

I got around this on several Windows 10 machines with Webroot installed by going into Device Manager , right-click HID Keyboard Device, select properties, then the Driver tab, then click 'Roll back driver'.

It is possible that Windows 10 will reinstall the driver due to Microsoft update policy preventing you from disabling problematic drivers, but so far it hasn't happened to me.

I'm having this exact same problem - rolling back drivers hasn't helped. 

I'd love to get this registry patch so I can continue using Webroot until it gets properly fixed. 

Thanks!

Gold VIP

Hi Panamon

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If you want to get hold of the Registry fix for this issue you will need to Open a Support Ticket to request it from the Support Team directly.

That is the safest approach as at least you can be sure of the source and therefore what you get hold of to run on your system. Just explain the postition and they should be able to supply this.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Here is the information I received from Support:

The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue. We do have a resolution available by modifying some of the Webroot settings to switch the way we monitor keyboard activity on the system.

You can do this via your management console policy:
Identity Shield Settings > Compatibility Mode = ON

For instructions on modifying policy settings, please refer to our online help below.
href="http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/779/Changing-policy-settings" target="_blank">http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/779/Changing-policy-settings</a>

It will create the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wrkrncompat]
"Enabled"=dword:00000006

The system WILL require a reboot for the change to be applied fully. If the issue persists, please check if the registry key was successfully created, in some cases the agent may need to be shut down in order for the key to be applied. For these cases I have included the manual method below.

To apply the fix please follow the steps below:

1. Please download the following Zip file:
http://download.webroot.com/CompatibilityFlag.zip
2. Locate the SecureAnywhere icon in your system tray.
3. Right-click the system tray icon and select "Shut down protection." (You may need to adjust your policy to allow Webroot to be shut down manually via the tray icon. This is under "Basic Configuration".
4. A prompt confirming whether you want to shut down appears. Click Yes.
5. Depending on your settings, you may have to complete a CAPTCHA for confirmation as well.
6. Import CompatibilityFlag.reg from the .zip by double clicking on the file.
7. Reboot the machine after confirming the import.

Gold VIP

Hi ahildreth

Many thanks for posting back and sharing. This is useful to know.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Can this affect machines that have identity shield turned off through central management? I'm seeing the exact same crash patterns, with webroot listed in my dump files.

Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

Yes - you need to do the full fix in the KB to get it to stop. Turning off ID Shield isn't sufficient.