• 1 reply

How to use Webroot to remove csrss malware

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I've done some reserach of csrss
csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion) and the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. It is responsible for managing most graphical commands in Windows, console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment. This process is important for stable and secure operation of your system and should not be terminated. Determining whether csrss.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process usually depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a legitimate or critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legitimate csrss.exe file is located in the C:WindowsSystem32 folder but you may find legitimate copies in other folders such as:

C:i386
C:Windows$NTServicePackUninstall$
C:WindowsServicePackFilesi386
C:MiniNTsystem32

If found running from a different location, it's usually indicative of malware.

My best advice is to submit a Support Ticket so they can look into this for you and this is free of charge with an activve subscription.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,