Backup & sync is disabled without warning

Userlevel 3
Hello. I realized of a malfunction of  the Backup & Sync function.
Sometimes it is deactivated, nevertheless it appears  with the green light in the control panel of WSA!
If I try to reactivate it I get an “error 10”, “exceeded number of loading retries for one or more files”.
Rebooting the machine sometimes works, but not always, e.g. now I am still with this feature disabled...

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

We first noticed this issue Monday, and I was one of the ones affected.  While rebooting the machine seems to work, obviously something still went wrong with yours :(

I did a "Clean Install" on Monday, and have not had the issue happen again. It is working just fine for me.  Give this a try:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Let us know if this works, and if it keeps the problem from returning!
Userlevel 3
Thanks for your reply David.
Huh! It's always a trouble to do that, and perhaps the problem it's not due to something that went corrupted, e.g. now it's up again.
Perhaps it's due to conflicts with programs accessing the same files that WSA is trying to backup, just an idea. In any case a problem to look at for possible improvement in the software I suppose...

Userlevel 7
I am NOT sure just what caused it, but it might have been an update to either somthing in the client software (what is on your computer) of on the server side.  For some reason though it seems some of us have had to get the login 'resynced'.  I have not had to fix it again, so I think you are good to go after a single reinstall.

Support did reply to me that doing one or two reboots SHOULD fix the problem, but evidently that might not be a permanent fix as we have seen in your case: it worked for a while and then broke again.l

PLEASE, if it happens again, DO let us know here.  It is very important that we know exactly how to fix it for anyone else that experiences it.

I am curious: do you happen to be using Windows 10?  I am, but our Communit Manager ? is using Windows 7 on a test machine and his account was NOT affected as I recall.

Thank you again for keeping us up to date!
Userlevel 3
I am using Win 8.1.
As I said now (after another reboot) Backup & Sync is active, so I am not going to reinstall.
However this thing should be investigated by the Webroot development team, I think.
In any case the status flag in the control panel should be corrected.
Another hypothesis could be that I have some big files in the sync list, and I use often hibernation, so may be that if WSA is transferring one of this files at time of hibernation it has difficulties in resuming it, perhaps.
Userlevel 7
If you do not mind, please submit a Trouble Ticket regarding the issue, even though we may have it working for you at the moment.  That will make sure that Support has a record of your particular issue, and will forward that information to the Dev team.

A ticket is already opened with the Dev team, and they are investigating this.  They have been for a day or two, but I am sure that any additional information will help them find a permanent solution to the issue faster for all of us 🙂
Userlevel 3
Hello. I am back after a while. Greetings to the community.

It looks like this issue is still there!
I realized a few minutes ago that, in spite of the green light, Backup & Sync was deactivated.
After a reboot it returned ON, but still no warnings...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Glauco,

Welcome back. Sorry to hear you are still having this issue. But it is really easy to do a uninstall/reinstall as ?
has posted ealier.

But if you want to Submit a Support Ticket they will gladly look into this for you which is free of charge with an active subscription.

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Please try the re-install as ? has suggested.  Since I reported the issue several months ago, I know Webroot has spent some time on it.  I have not had the issue happen again for the last month or more.  Hopefully the re-install will give you a long term fix as it has for me, but do please let us know how it goes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you for the assistance ?!:D
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

Welcome back...if I may just suggest that before you uninstall/reinstall you make sure that you are running the very latest version of WSA, rebooting after any update and then checking to see if the issue is still present.

If you want to try this then can do this by right clicking on the WSA notification tray icon, selecting 'Check for updates' and if there is one it will be offered to you.

And if that does not work then you can always go for the uninstall/clean reinstall.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hello. Thanks to all of you for replying.
Well, I may retry a “clean” reinstall for the n-th time, this is in fact, most of the times, what the support team tells you to do to solve problems, and this is what they told me when I opened a ticked on this issue (so I am not encouraged to open another one).
I also want to reassure Baldrick that I have WSA updated.
So let me be a little skeptic.
WSA, like any other program, should not require frequent reistallations to solve problems, and the update process should fix things smoothly, if this is not the case there are basic problems that should be addressed, isn't it?
In any case the deactivation of Backup&Sync is not so frequent, thus some months of observation would be necessary, to ascertain that the problem has been solved.
However, even if  Webroot has spent some time on it, as shorTcircuiT has reported, in all evidence no warning appeared, so I deduce that this part of the correction has not been implemented, and, as I am a SW developer myself, I can tell that it should not be that difficult to do this, so I don't understand why it has not been done yet.
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

I appreciate what you are saying, and sympathise, as I am in IT & software development/delivery myself. I personally have never in all of my years of use of WSA had to re-install because of an issue...but I do it regularly to check things out for Community Members, etc.

I have run into this Backup & Sync issue myself when it first appeared but further to taking the action advised initially and then further to subsequant updates I have not seen it reappear.

Please keep us posted on your position and if you do open a ticket then please let us know so that we can look to 'push' it internally if at all possible.

Regards, Baldrick