Backup and Sync Mistake

• 28 August 2015
  • 3 replies

Good morning. After installing WSA Complete I make what must have been a huge mistake. I decided to utilize the 25 GB of backup storage to save my music files. Rather than dragging and dropping the folder with the music files in them as instructed, I right clicked and MOVED the iTunes folder instead.

It took a day and a half to move the 13+ GBs of folders and brought our network to a snails pace. My questions now are;

1. How do I get just the folder with the music in it back onto my laptop?

2. Is there a faster way to do the transfer?

3. I do not want the folders in the cloud to sync so how do I stop that from happening?

Thanks,  Bill

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there BIll9406, welcome to the Community!

1) I am sure there are quite a number of ways of doing this, just as there usually are with any file movement activity.  How I do it is:
  • Open Windows Explorer
  • "Snap" that Windows Explorer window to the left side of the screen
  • Locate the 'Cloud Drive' among your data drives.  Double click it to enter it, and navigate to the folder with the music
  • Open a second Windows Explorer 
  • "Snap" this Windows Explorer window to the right side of the screen, allowing you to see BOTH WIndows Explorer screens at one time
  • Navigate in the right window to the location you want to put the recovered files
  • On the left side, select all
  • On the right side, Move or Copy all
This may not be the best way, nor the fastest, but it is A way to get the job done.

2) You may want to contact Webroot Support regarding this.  While I am sure that transer of data to the backup is not the fastest data transfer in the world, it does seem that to be excessive.  I DO know that there is a strong encryption takikng place during storage, and that will slow things down a bit.

3)  Turning off sync is simple.  Open WSA.  Click the 'gear tool' next to Backup&Sync, click the slider next to Sync so that it moves to the righ, and shows red.

I hope all of this helps!
Thanks David.

I've begun moving album folders and it seems to be going faster.

Bill
Userlevel 7
?

Whew!  I DO use Backup&Sync, but mainly just for the automatic buid in AnyWhere folder it creates.  I had to do a little bit of reading up and refreshing my memory in order to make my reply to you.  I am glad it is helping!