Solved

Can I manage it locally only without the Web Console?

• 30 March 2013
  • 6 replies

I just got a message saying that I the Web Console will over-ride my local SecureAnywhere settings.  Is there a way that I can manage SecureAnywhere locally only?

I don't like the feeling that someone can manage my machine through a web-based account.  Or maybe I am not understanding this correctly?  I just want to manage my machine locally only.
icon

Best answer by JimM 3 April 2013, 01:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Please look in this part of MyWebroot console user guide, item 4. and 5. describes what is needed to manage PC locally.

Be sure to have the latest version (8.0.2.127) installed as past builds had some bugs which could cause self overriding of PC security settings.
I just read the guide you suggested.  Can I do this without logging into my.webrootanywhere.com?

I don't want to log in your web site even one time.  I want to disable any connection to my.webrootanywhere.com at all.  I want it to be 100% local.  You can run updates (which I would select manually).  But, I don't want to determine any settings through the web consule, not even one time.

Is there a way to fix this without using my.webrootanywhere.com?  Because you make it sound as if everytime it's connected to the internet, it will communicate with webroot, and I don't want that.

It makes me feel very vunerable and uncomfortable to have a program be managed by a web consule, no matter how much webroot says it's safe.  I want it to only run locally on my machine.  Are those days over?  I liked the old webroot better.
Userlevel 7
Well, if you do a clean reinstall, you should be able to manage your settings localy what is the default setting.

You cannot change the management settings without connecting to Webroot web console.

BTW, you are scared for having connections to Webroot, but as you may know WSA is the cloud based, so WSA is always connected to the Webroot cloud. So if you're concerned about connection to Webroot, sorry to say but WSA isn't a solution for you.
Userlevel 7
This appears to be the same discussion as started in this other thread.

As Pegas pointed out, you are correct to note that WSA communicates with Webroot when it is online.  The benefit of this is that WSA is never out of date.  Non-cloud-based solutions rely on heavy definition sets, which often times update on a schedule.  The peril in this is that if your software updates once per day, it's only ever up to date once per day.  Just a few minutes after you receive that heavy definitions set update, new malware has already hit the internet, and you're not protected against it.  With a cloud-based solution like WSA however, you are protected against that threat in real time.  That has very little to do with an online management interface however, and more to do with how WSA operates in the background.  It's going to communicate with the cloud regardless of whether it's set up for User Configuration or any of the various console-based settings packages.

Regarding management via the online console, let's make sure that message is correct.  If you could please sign into the console as has been suggested, I'm interested to know whether User Configuration is already selected as the option for your PC please.  It could be the case that you're experiencing a cosmetic issue wherein it is saying it's being managed by the web console when it's really set up for User Configuration.  If so, we can treat that as a possible cosmetic defect, but please let us know if that's the case.
So, what happens if that web cloud is shared by a stranger who happens to have the same keycode? That is the situation I am in. Webroot sent me a keycode that was already in use. Now my web console has another person's computer listed. And I'm sure my computers are listed in their cloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello redwonder the Webroot Staff will get you sorted when they come online it a couple of hours as I said in your other thread. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/WEBROOT-Selling-Same-Keycodes-To-Multiple-Users/td-p/77493#.UtkhjLQaquI

Thanks,

TH