Solved

Can WRSA prevent some windows updates?

• 12 June 2013
  • 8 replies

So I've been to the microsoft forums searching for support and I've literally tried almost every advice they could give me and the last conclusion they could come up with is that, my Webroot Secure Anywhere could have some conflict with my windows update. 

While it might not be necessarily true, but I think it can be possible. I bought this laptop a few weeks ago and I've never really had any issues with it.

If this is true, is there something on the program I need to configure? I've tried disabling the security features altogether, but that didn't help.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit with a Lenovo IdeaPad N580 btw.
icon

Best answer by EamonF 12 June 2013, 11:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch. Generally Windows Update would not be affected by Webroot especially since you disabled the security features (but I'm assuming you didn't kill WSA completely) of the product but I have noticed a lot of brand new files on your keycode (most likely since it's "patch Tuesday" over at Microsoft). 

I am currently working on whitelisted your keycode and will post back as soon as I done.

Thanks!
Eamon F
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi again Chris,

Well my assumptions were correct, we had an absolutely huge Windows Update yesterday with a tonne of new Microsoft files which are now all determined. They're may be an underlying issue if the updates didn't work before yesterday but we'll get to that if it comes to it.

We now recommend you run one Deep Scan with Webroot SecureAnywhere. To do so, please follow the instructions below.

1. Open SecureAnywhere.
2. Click PC Security.
3. Open the Scan tab.
4. Click the Custom Scan link.
5. The default scan option is "Deep". Click Scan.

This will start a Deep Scan of your system. Please let us know if your Windows Update works after this scan completes.

Thanks!
Eamon F
The Deep Scan came back clean, but the update still didn't work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
That's normal, the scan was to make sure the latest determinations were applied to your PC.

Can you post us a screen shot of Windows Update not working for you? I'm not convinced it's WSA that is prevent this from working (actually, please temporarily close WSA by right clicking the tray icon and select "Shut down protection") so I would like to see the issue you are experiencing (error messages etc.).

Thanks!
Eamon F
This was recently ran while I had Webroot shutdown.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ah ok well that explains it, those error codes can give great detail into an issue. Two updates seem to be stuck and it means that a file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing. Fortunately, references to that error code are all over Microsoft's website and they're some troubleshooting steps you can follow to resolve it. Thankfully it's not to do with your Webroot and looks relatively easy to fix 🙂 Here's the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x80073712

Please let me know if this has resolved the issue for you.

Thanks!
Eamon F
I followed one of the steps from the link you posted, which was refreshing my PC. It looks like that did that the trick.

I checked for all important udates and I was able to update without a problem. Thanks EamonF!! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear Slick!

Daniel