Can Webroot Secure Anywhere block a specific IP address?

• 22 February 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Can Webroot block a specific IP address? I find it unsettling that after formating my hard drive, reinstalling everything and having not yet checked into my Facebook account that Facebook Ireland Limited or Facebook Ireland Ltd at IP address at 31.13.69.228 likes to latch on to me as I start any browser; not always, but often enough. After finding they are prohibited in France from data Mining non-Facebook users for abusive behavior and are linked to sudden Palpay accounts paying them unauthorized amounts of money from many users of Paypal, I have to wonder about this.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello JeffK,

Welcome back!

You can block applications and ports but not IP addresses.

Please look here:http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4c_ManagingActiveConnections.htm

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Jeff

To block specific IP addresses you need to do so with your Firewall. If you are using Windows Firewall there are plenty of online guides that will explain how to do this.

Nemo
I have a similar problem.  I have a bunch of windows 7 8 and 10  machines and they are automatically  connecting to amazonaws.com with multiple connection per machine.  
I believe these connections are for illegitimate remote viewing and adjustment of my machines.

I have  transitioned away from a  paid subscription off zone labs.  I could block ports easily.

netbios ports and others should be out right  blocked.

In zonealarm I could take ranges off IP addresses like amazonaws's servers and block them.  Stopping there connection is my only defence as all my scans find nothing wrong.

I regularly block tcp and udp ports 
135-139, 152, 153, 8080, 1900, 530-65535

80 and 443 should be open for sure.

I would like to block ranges of ip addresses  and speciic ports that I believe are vulnerable.

Kudos :)

Userlevel 7
Hi Kudos

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Can you advise as to whether you are a Home/Consumer user of WSA or if you use the Endpoint Security (Business) version? The reason I ask is that you speak of having a bunch of machines.

If you are an Endpoint Security (Business) version user then you have posted in the wrong part of the forums, as this is the Home/Consumer section. I can move your post to the Endpoint Security section if you would like me to/if it is appropriate...just let me know.

If you do use the Home/Consumer version then as Sherry has pointed out in her post one cannot block specific IP addresses. Please see Nemo's post about using the Windows Firewall to achieve what you are looking to do.

Regards, Baldrick
I am a home user.  I have a subscription for 5 machiness.  My moms Dads and sisters and mine.  Plus a bunch of Windows 10 Pads and android tv boxes.  I actualy could buy more subscriptions at this point.

At the sake of familysecurity I would say this is quite important

I dont want prying eyes on my or my familys banking.

regards
Kudos

also if not ip addresses then what about ports.
Userlevel 7
OK, no worries.

As Sherry states in her post above "You can block applications and ports but not IP addresses."

Please see THIS page from the online help re. Managing Active Connections.

Regards, Baldrick