Charging

• 9 October 2016
  • 4 replies

I have my charger plugged into my lap top but it says plugged in not charging and only have 6% available.

4 replies

Hi Jeroztx,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

There could be a few explanations for this. Your charger may be failing (If you have an electrical tester you could check the voltage). The charging port on your laptop may be failing (that has happened to me). If you wiggle the cord where it plugs into your laptop will it start charging? Have you tried removing/reinserting the battery to see if that helps?

Edit: Another member, ?, has also suggested that your battery may be failing. How old is the battery? (A very good question)

If you're still having issues you may need to take it to a repair shop.

Hope this info helps, :)
BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey there Jeroztx and Welcome to the Webroot community!

Edit: Just seen that Burn has sorted you out, Best of luck. :) 

This sounds like it could be one of two things. It could be a bad battery, your laptop will be getting power but your battery will not be charging. If possible I would replace the battery, if not I would take it to someone who can put a new one in for you. 

The only other thing I can think off, is  to plug your laptop into the wall and wait and see what happens when the battery goes to 0%. If it stays on then it is a battery issue and you will need a new one, if it  turns off even when plugged in then it is an issue with the connector your charger plugs into rather than the battery and this will need to be replaced or the circuit board it is attached to will need to be repaired. 

Either way you will need parts if you want 100% functionality, a battery depending on the model can be purchased on amazon for reasonable prices, but if you are not sure I would go to a repair shop as having the wrong battery in your laptop can do more harm than good. 

Hope this helps, if you find something else or need more information, give us a post here and we will help where we can. 

All the best Bradforth

@ wrote:
Hey there Jeroztx and Welcome to the Webroot community!

Edit: Just seen that Burn has sorted you out, Best of luck. :) 

This sounds like it could be one of two things. It could be a bad battery, your laptop will be getting power but your battery will not be charging. If possible I would replace the battery, if not I would take it to someone who can put a new one in for you. 

The only other thing I can think off, is  to plug your laptop into the wall and wait and see what happens when the battery goes to 0%. If it stays on then it is a battery issue and you will need a new one, if it  turns off even when plugged in then it is an issue with the connector your charger plugs into rather than the battery and this will need to be replaced or the circuit board it is attached to will need to be repaired. 

Either way you will need parts if you want 100% functionality, a battery depending on the model can be purchased on amazon for reasonable prices, but if you are not sure I would go to a repair shop as having the wrong battery in your laptop can do more harm than good. 

Hope this helps, if you find something else or need more information, give us a post here and we will help where we can. 

All the best Bradforth

Actually I had help from ProTruckDriver who was wise enough to ask the most obvious question regarding the battery. (It's been a long day. I was up and out the door at 5:30am for Cross-Country sectionals. But it was well worth it. My son finished 7th out of 80 boys [6th, 7th and 8th graders] and is the first 6th grader ever in his school to go to State! I'm super proud and super tired. Hopefully my Cubs will get things started early tonight and wake me up!
Userlevel 7
My Wife's Toshiba Laptop had the same problem, it will not charge over 10%. Bought a new battery, now it charges 100% 😃