cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

I have contacted Webroot support, however by the time I got a response from them I had already performed a clean uninstall & reinstall. After all having only 8GB free on my C: partition made it quite literally impossible to do anything.
I will note though that I encountered something rather odd while doing the uninstall & reinstall. After uninstalling and then restarting my pc, I forgot to check to see if the WRData folder had been removed upon un-installation before restarting, which it hadn't. So I went to check for the WRData folder and found that it was still there and was still 56GB, however while doing so Webroot had begun automatically reinstalling itself. So I deleted the contents of the WRData folder before it could finish reinstalling itself, and it reinstalled itself without any problems.

My WRData folder is still under 100MB, so I'm happy with that, and it seems to be working perfectly fine now. Although I've decided that I'm just going to have to download my mods for games to a folder and scan them, and also disable webroot when installing the game mods and while playing the modded game. I think on top of that I'll probably have to add a scan exception parameter that encompasses the top folder where the game and mods are located so that WSA doesn't scan those files, folders, and archives every time it does a regular scan and instead manually scan those items individually every so often.

I'd also like to add that when I raised the question about changing the write path for the WRData folder when I submitted my ticket the response I got was as follows.

"Hello,

We apologize, however there is not way to map the WRData folder to an external drive. Normally the WRData folder shouldn't be more than a few dozen MB, so you should not run into this issue if Webroot is working properly.

Regards,

Webroot Support Team"

Thanks for the help,
Noah Galaska
Popular Voice

Well based on that response WSA isn't, and never has worked properly, on my two computers in spite of repeated support tickest / whitelisting / reinstalls.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

Would you like me to get the ticket escalated to someone who can work on it in more depth with you?  Is the ticket under the same email address that you used for your community login?

Popular Voice

Thanks nic I hadn't raised a new ticket but I have now. Yes, it is under the same email address as the community login.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

Ok I'll get someone on it - thanks!

Popular Voice

Well this is a record. Between yesterday's image and today's, WRData grew to 41GB!! Logs snt again, with request to do whitelisting. I've lost count of how many times I have done this now Smiley Happy I wish Webroot could find a solution to this problem.
Popular Voice

A new record. WRData grown to an unbelievable 46.7GB in one day (nearly 20% of my SSD). Will raise ticket. WSA at 9.0.4.7 and this still happens!
Popular Voice

It's a PITA as this involves a reinstall, resetting preferences, exclusions, etc.
Frequent Voice

@paulderdash wrote:
It's a PITA as this involves a reinstall, resetting preferences, exclusions, etc.

If I remember correctly, a reinstall is not required. I needed to contact support to whitelist my files (which was fairly quick and easy) and after that, I could manually delete the huge .db files. Maybe that resets the prefs etc. too? In any case, it's still unacceptable and a PITA.

Bronze VIP

@paulderdash wrote:
A new record. WRData grown to an unbelievable 46.7GB in one day (nearly 20% of my SSD). Will raise ticket. WSA at 9.0.4.7 and this still happens!

If you get the whitelisting done, it should fix this situation effectively. If you save a scan log and look at it you'll see extent of [U] files.  

The situation you see is not one which is seen generally, and a reinstall does not take long, even resetting preferences, and would resolve that large WRData folder issue, combined with whitelisting.