cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Popular Voice

Re: Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

My thanks to Roy (Rakanisheu) for spending time on this i.e. whitelisting my unknowns, and advising me to perform a custom deep scan.

Hi ^^

Would be nice to get some help too, my WRData folder is 3.9 gb atm. the last two .db files are 1.9gb each. My ssd is almost full so 4gb of data from webroot is not what i need right now :3

What logfiles do you need?

Thanks in advance

Gold VIP

Hi CandyFace

Welcome to the Community Forums...Smiley Very Happy

If you click on the cog/gear to the right of the Utilities tab (in the Main GUI) and then click on the Reports tab in the mew panel displayed you should be able to see a 'Save scan log' button. Click that and then save the .txt file created.  If you then open that file it should display the details of the scans thatWSA has made.  Each line us usually prefixed by a Capital letter in [] barckets.  You should then Open a Support Ticket describing your issue and copy and pasting any line starting [U] that you find in the log.  Example below:

[U] c:\program files\axtm\axtmapp.exe [MD5: 326C3F0BDFC5AA24063FD001F8F954D3] [Flags: 40191100.4122]

Support should then be able to review these, whitelist those that are safe and that should then stop the journalling of those files actions, which it what generates the large files in WRDATA.  To clear them you will need to uninstall WSA, make sure that WRDATA has been deleted and then reinstall WSA (make sure that you have your key code to hand as you will have to enter it again, and also that you say 'NO' to any offer from the installer to load saved preferences...this needs to be a clean install).  Hopefully with that and the whitelisting you should not have the same issue re. the size of WRDATA.

Post back if there is anything  further that you need help with.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Popular Voice

Hi

In spite of Roy's whitelisting I still see my WRData .db files climb to a couple of GBs (currently WRData folder > 6GB) every couple of weeks. I can do a clean install every time, but it this hardly makes it a set and forget solution.

Rgds - Paul

Gold VIP

Hi paulderdash

How are you?  Well, I hope? Smiley Very Happy

This continues to rear it's head from time to time despite the fact that one of the recent releases included, I beleieve (but could be wrong) the optimising of existing databases and cleaning out old data...may need to check that this has indeed been released.

So by the sounds of it you have again, know not how, some applications seen as unknown by WSA, and modifying a lot of files.

So perhaps rather than just an uninstall/clean install, may I suggest that you run a scan and the check the scan log to see if you have some additional [U] prefixed files, and if they correspond to the couple large files with the name db[Numbers].db that you have reported having

If I recall correctly the advice provided by @JoeJ, if you believe that your system is clean, you can delete these (I do occasionally after checking), but of course it would be safer to contact Support again with the details of the [U] to get these whitelisted.

I have a similar pattern of growth in the WRDATA folder from time to time and usually find that, for some unknown reason I have new [U] prefixed files in the scan log, and most probably new versions of something already installed (as I tend to try to keep installed software up to date) which by dint of being new versions (different checksums, etc.) are now untrusted, etc., and most likely these are creating most of the data by writing a great deal of temporary data to the disk. 

Just an educated guess on my part as in the early days I had a lot of large db[Numbers].db files...but these days, as previously stated, a few every now and then.

Not sure if any of this is of help...but hope that it is.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Popular Voice

Thanks again for your advice Baldrick!

I also thought a recent release had, at least partially, addressed this ...

I had already reinstalled but will try the approach you and @JoeJ suggest next time!

Indeed I too keep all software, installed and portable, rigorously up to date so that may account for the issue. But that is good practice.

Rgds - Paul

Edit: On further inspection I see I do have a lot of [U] files in a new scan log.

Re your comment 'if they correspond to the couple large files with the name db[Numbers].db that you have reported having' how do I determine this i.e. which [U] files are related to which db[Numbers]?

Gold VIP

Hi paulderdash

You are most welcome...that is what the Community is here for. Smiley Very Happy

Unfortunately, there is no way to link the large .db[numbers].db files to specific [U] prefixed scan log entries...I believe that it has been requested of Webroot...but not forthcoming (but I may be wrong re. that assertion so do not auote me on that Smiley Wink).

What I tend to do is only delete those .db files if can relate them to apps that are set to 'Monitor' under 'Block/Allow', etc. (what I sometimes also do if I have found some files set as 'Monitor' is to switch these to 'Allow', especially if I know the app in question, and then check to see which .db files have NOT increased in size since...i.e., not been jornalled since the change in status...and in my view that gives a reasonable indication of which file is linked to which .db file, etc.),

Also I run a manual Deep Scan to try to make as sure as I can ghat the system is clean...can never be 100% sure but that is the best I can do.  I do also carry out an on-demand scan with another, trusted, security app that I use for just this sort of eventuality.  If that comes up clean then I usually go ahead.

Well, may seem convoluted but it does not happen often...and does not take long.

Hope that helps?

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

New Voice

Is it just me or is it exceptionally poor to force a user to uninstall the app, delete the WRData folder and then reinstall (in a particular manner - i.e. not accepting importing prior settings) to deal with this bloat issue??  Also it opens you up to being UNABLE to recover if something bad is in play during this evolution. 

Also, why is it the interface doesn't list those [U] files it is journaling in the GUI like a few other files so you can say "that's a good file, stop watching it"??

@TheSQLGuru wrote:

Is it just me or is it exceptionally poor to force a user to uninstall the app, delete the WRData folder and then reinstall (in a particular manner - i.e. not accepting importing prior settings) to deal with this bloat issue??  Also it opens you up to being UNABLE to recover if something bad is in play during this evolution. 

Also, why is it the interface doesn't list those [U] files it is journaling in the GUI like a few other files so you can say "that's a good file, stop watching it"??

Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community! Well for one you don't have to as WSA is self cleaning of the journaling dbxxxxx.db files in WRData. 

2014-07-16_20-49-48.png 

Also if you look here you can set from Monitored to Allow if you know the processes are safe then the journaling will stop and in a few days the dbxxxxx.db files will be gone and it's best is to Submit a Support Ticket to get the [U] files Whitelisted in the Cloud database. Also if you set to allow you can delete the dbxxxx.db files but again it's best to contact support unless you know for sure the processes are safe. Also if someone does have an issue and suggested to do a clean reinstall and asked not to import prior settings the reason is it keeps some info as well as the settings so we ask them not to import settings and do it clean and set it up as you like afterwords but again only under direction from one of the Webroot Staff or us Expert Product Advisors.

HTH,

Daniel Smiley Wink

EDIT: To add as this was fix since the last post in this thread.

Community Leader

Welcome to the community TheSQLGuru!

It is ampleasure to have you here!

Browse around, there is a wealth of information here in the community.

We welcome your feedback and hope you will come often and share your experiences!

Beth

sig

Experience Shared is Knowledge Shared, Share Yours! I'm a volunteer – my reward is your SMILE!Smiley Very Happy

Helpful Webroot Links:

Submit Trouble Ticket • User Guides • BrightCloud URL lookup • Account Console 

Download (PC) • Download (Best Buy/Geek Squad Subscription) • Download (Walmart and Target) • Download (MSN Subscription) 

Register and Introduce yourself to The Community!