cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Voice

Re: Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

It never is a problem to get support to whitelist files I agree entirely, but my point was I did an install on a fairly new PC & within 10 minutes of install Spotify would not work & I could not cut & paste out of a well known German office suite - That was the beginning, I also had problems with DB Power Amp Ripper & with Ashampoo Photo Commander 12, & of course all the other modules in the office suite would not allow cutting & pasting either, that's when I decided I'd had enough of WSA yet again.

Now if I was a new customer or indeed a person I'd recommended WSA too how do these people know it's the AV program that's preventing copy & pasting, or stopping Spotify working I’ve highlighted the part from the scan log that showed Spotify being blocked & the results of my moving it to allow.

My simple point is WSA can be a high maintenance AV, people generally don't know or want to know about scanning, saving or viewing the log then sending the 'U's to support to be whitelisted - To prevent monitoring & issues today I would have had to contact support to get files whitelisted, (and more importantly known it was WSA causing the issues)  the far simple solution was to image C:\ back to earlier today & use ESET - If people don't understand the implications of this small & far shorter experiment than was intended I give up - ESET doesn’t use 250 meg of space & certainly never ever half a gig.

It seems some of the marketing & or when tested the fact that as WSA would fit on an old floppy the end result is (by implication?) also little that space used, this is all to often not the case esp. if the person uses slightly uncommon programs, & from my experience most users of WSA have never seen the size of the DATA folder, which may explain why it isn’t as larger issue as it could be IMO - I realise many files are whitelisted a day but my little experiment I feel showed rather quickly why I’ve given up on WSA.

In all the time I've used ESET not once have I had to contact support., ever. As for WSA being new I’ve used to since the end of Prevx so it hardly new technology?

EDITED

Gold VIP

"used to since the end of Prevx so it hardly new technology?"...respectfully, that is where you are slightly incorrect, Martians.  Yes, WSA is based on Prevx technology but the emphasis is on the 'based on', as Joe, whilst at Webroot, significantly enhanced the technology.  What currently backs up the WSA front end is a quantum leap ahead of what backed up Prevx, as one would expect given the development time and money sunk into the product.

So yes, comparatively speaking, it is new technology, in its current form, based on an original idea that we are indebted to Prevx for...IMHO.

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Well I for one will say WSA is much more than the other product you mentioned any day so how can we help you or you just come here to promote ESET?

Daniel

New Voice

I have in my cupboard still 3 boxes of WSA essentials 2011, I agree it has changed, the UI had a big change last year, & been updated but they are essentially the same program. & different that the previous module Webroot used.

I haven't come to promote ESET, I have used WSA for some time & was a contributor to the forum when it was on Wilders, I have the greatest respect for Triple Helix (and recently read the small piece that was written about him) & had for Joe who was part of Webroot .

I'm not trolling & therefore wont post again - Today I removed WSA from my daughters PC, I thought you may be interested why, every word I've written is true & have no ulterior motive whatever. It would seem Webroot do not want constructive criticism - I actually went to the trouble of removing ESET in safe mode, installing WSA using it for a while, reporting my findings, I then had to image back & defrag etc. I would have been happy if WSA had worked out of the box & would said I was wrong - As I've recommended WSA to more people than I can count I thought Webroot may be interested, it seems they are not.

BTW I've seen all the WSA videos.

Kind regards Paul.

BTW : I wont reply to any further parts of this thread as I'm no longer a WSA user I have deleted my login info, I’ve said my point & respect not all AV solutions are suitable for all people & or situations.

@Martians wrote:

I have in my cupboard still 3 boxes of WSA essentials 2011, I agree it has changed, the UI had a big change last year, & been updated but they are essentially the same program. & different that the previous module Webroot used.

I haven't come to promote ESET, I have used WSA for some time & was a contributor to the forum when it was on Wilders, I have the greatest respect for Triple Helix (and recently read the small piece that was written about him) & had for Joe who was part of Webroot .

I'm not trolling & therefore wont post again - Today I removed WSA from my daughters PC, I thought you may be interested why, every word I've written is true & have no ulterior motive whatever. It would seem Webroot do not want constructive criticism - I actually went to the trouble of removing ESET in safe mode, installing WSA using it for a while, reporting my findings, I then had to image back & defrag etc. I would have been happy if WSA had worked out of the box & would said I was wrong - As I've recommended WSA to more people than I can count I thought Webroot may be interested, it seems they are not.

BTW I've seen all the WSA videos.

Regards Paul.

Well I am Triple Helix but we don't care for members comparing WSA with any competitor unless you are using both on the same machine and have issues with them, and I'm sorry this is not Wilders this is the Webroot Community Forums so please respect that. Also what username are you using on Wilders as I assume it's not the same as here?

Thanks,

TH  Smiley Wink

New Voice

Reply:

As you can't seem to let this go I will reply - My user name on Wilders is frankly none of your business & as Webroot no longer have a presence on there I’m surprised you asked. But I continue to use that forum as I use other security solutions etc & been a member for many years.

As you don't seem to believe a word I say further typing is a waste of effort - I have a fixed IP with Virgin Media & have no intention of returning to this forum under another persona & as you are a mod I assume you have it.

I have not compared your (WSA) solution to ESET,  I installed WSA today on this machine to see basically if I could replicate the issue on my daughters PC upstairs (that had WSA on) with Spotify after Baldrick replied - I used this thread as her WR Data folder was very large hence the connection with this thread & you ought to have poined the issue of forum rules out earlier but you didn't,  you replied.

Feel free to delete any or all of my posts that you feel transgress the forum rules - I will if I feel inclined comment on any aspects of WSA on other forums but that is unlikely as I do have a life. I've obviously ruffled your feathers but as I've said I wont reply again so feel free to have the last word...

No I don't have permissions to see anyone's IP address only Admins and not sure about Mods, don't get me wrong as many Wilders members are here and using the same username so in a sense I/we would know who you are! And your first post here you Mention ESET and 3 other times so that's puts in my mind hey this user is just here to complain and he mentions ESET as well and I assume you were part of the Beta Testers Group so you know how to work with support as that's the best place to convey the many issues you have sorry you took offence.

My Respects,

Daniel

Popular Voice

Opened the followingti cket with Support:

Hi

This support call is as a result of a conversation in the Webroot Community https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Controlling-WRData-folder-size-help...

My WRData folder is just short of 6GB. I have previously un/reinstalled WSA to fix this but was wondering if sending the logs again and maybe another round of whitelisting could help prevent having to do this.

I (in the interests of perhaps being able to improve WSA from the info in my logs), and the Community, would like to know why the WRData folder is getting so large and why the older .db files (two of which are over 2GB) are not being cleaned out. I see my oldest .db files are from 18 June.

I have uploaded the logs using wsalogs.exe. Does this also how the scan log [U] files for whitelisting or do I have to send this separately? My system is clean according to Malwarebytes Pro.

Rgds - Paul

They whitelisted my apps and asked me to reinstall. Will monitor WRData - now

Will monitor WRData - now at 35MB after reinstall and custom deep scan.

I must be setting a record - after two day my WRdata folder is 22GB.

One file of 20Gb

One file of 2GB

A few small ones.

I have no disk space left and the PC (a VM) is unusable. I'm a bit appalled that webroot can do this.

Have lodged a support request.