cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Leader

Re: Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

Hi @Lindsay-Mathieson !

Did you check the WRLog file in order to find out what processes are gettng logged? It's a good idea to open a support request so that the team can look at the files and whitelist them, if needed. If you already know that the logged processes are good you can also manually stop the monitoring process; in the WSA GUI go to Utilities, System Control and check Control Active Processes

Community Guide

-Webroot Endpoint Protection user-
New Voice

Hi everybody. I've been using Webroot for 2015. It seems other users have had this problem, so I'm posting in this thread. I basically also have the "bloated folder size" problem, but it's taking up 101 GB of my 194 GB HDD! I have no more space to write on the disk, and that in the middle of a 9GB download which I'm going to have to start again.. But I can't because I have no more space!

I already wrote a support ticket, hopefully they will answer soon as it's near impossible to work on this pc with almost no free space.

Gold VIP

Hi newuser123

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Do you by any chance keep you apps up to date or try out recently released apps as the norm?  The reason I ask is because, as I suspect that you know, what causes that folder to 'bloat' is that it is the storage folder for the output files that resilt from the journaling and monitoring of behavior that WSA instigates when it comes across a file/apps for which it cannot determin if 'good' or 'bad'.  So these files are important to protect/ensure against permanent damage to a user’s machine.

They should get cleared when a files i/app is determined as 'good' but there have been some issues here and I believe that Webroot is working on the issue, or at least they were.

There is a manula way to determine what journal-related files are no longer required, etc. but that involves a voyage into the Registry, review of Registry keys, cross referencing with the 'dbnnnnn.db files, and then manually deleting thos that are not required. And I would not advise this to anyone not feeling technically confident, etc.

Therefore the quickest way to reduce the size of that folder is to uninstall WSA and then reinstall it without importing previous settings...buut whilst this is easy it will remove the journalling files some of which are covering current monitoring of files/apps yet to be determined as 'good or 'bad' and if evenyaully found to be 'bad' then, by the uninstall/reinstall action, the journalling informastion will have been 'lost' and WSA will be unable to perform the rollback action.

The other approach is to pursue that SUpport Ticket that you have opened making sure that you explain the criticallity of your space problem and see if the Support Team can assist in cleaning out the WRDATA folder appropriately.

Apologies that I cannnot be of more help.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

New Voice

Thank you very much for your reply, Baldrick.

Indeed, the way(s) you mentioned to determine the problem are beyond my technical abilities and I wouldn't want to mess around with stuff I don't know.

Yes, I keep my apps up to date, but not many of them - the first ones that come to mind are Adobe Reader, Firefox and of course Webroot itself.

Is there maybe an option to determine manually wether a file/app is good or bad? Maybe that could help.

Either way, I have already submitted a support ticket and am currently waiting for an answer.

Best regards.

Gold VIP

Hi newuser123

You are most wellcome...and you are most wise to err on the side of caution here.

As to whether there is maybe an option to determine manually whether a file/app is good or bad...well, Yes, there is but not that either you or I could use although if one checks on whether there are any files currently being monitored by WSA, and there are none flagged as such then it is a pretty safe bet that one can uninstall/reinstall WSA which should clean/remove the 'dbnnnnn.db' files in WRDATA as a result.

But IMHO you have done the best thing to open a support ticket and get the professionals to help.

Please do keep us posted on what they come back with and how this turns out for you.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

New Voice

I see.. Well, since I am very short on time and really need my pc functioning correctly as soon as possible, I will reinstall WSA.
Hopefully this will keep the problem at bay until it can be properly fixed.
I will reply to this thread once more when the support replies to my ticket.
Gold VIP

Hi newuser123

As a quick check to see if WSA is monitoring any apps/files look in the following places

1. PC Security > Quarantine > Detection Configuration

2. Identity & Privacy > Protected Applications

3. Utilities > System Control > Control Active Processes

If there are no apps/files set to 'Monitor' then you should be OK with an uninstall/clean reinstall.

And just in case you have not already picked up on the uninstall/clean reinstall procedure then please find it below:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Hope that helps...and be sure to keep us posted on how things go.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

New Voice

Thank you once again, Baldrick.

Unfortunately, there's one more concern: I have bought Webroot for 5 PCs and only activated 2 of them so far. With a un- and reinstall, will Webroot register a third PC? This would of course be bad for me.

Can you or someone confirm this? Otherwise, I suppose I should keep on waiting for the support.

Best regards.

Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Just in case Baldrick isn't around no it will not take another seat you can uninstall and reinstall on the same OS as much as you like but if you do a OS reinstall all you have to do is remove it from the online console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console and install WSA on the new OS or even a New PC or Device. Here is more info to read: http://live.webrootanywhere.com/wsawebsitehelp

HTH,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Gold VIP

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the pick up/filling in...I was indeed, as you correctly surmised, not around. Smiley Wink

Now that is one of the things that I love about the Community...the TEAMWORK! Smiley Very Happy

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png