Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

Always Buddy!

Daniel Smiley Very Happy

Gold VIP

Oh, I do like THAT...just goes to show that one can put just about any spin on a given event or situation. Smiley Very Happy

Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

New Voice

Thanks Baldrick and Daniel! I've reinstalled the program and now have 100GB free space Smiley Happy
I just hope that this is a permanent solution... Otherwise I believe that it could get quite annoying, as it filled those 100GB in just one or two weeks...
Either way, thanks not only to you but to this kind community!
I hope you'll be seeing more of me as a contributor and helper rather than a problem reporter in the future!
Best regards.

Great to hear may I suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket and ask then to whitelist all your files! And anytime you see it grow it's how WSA can rollback an Infected System and Support is free of charge with your paid Subscription! Also most of us are Volunteer's and that's how much we believe in WSA and the Direction it is going! http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php and in case WSA misses something see this short video: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/...

I know Sir Baldrick will have some comments as well! Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Daniel Smiley Wink

2014-06-26_13-24-28.png

Gold VIP

Hi newuser123

Glad to hear that worked for you and that you have some usable capacity.  May I suggest that you consider a second drive as (i) data storage is relatively cheap & (ii) the amount of drive sapce that you have is rather meagre by current standards. IT is always good to havea bit extra...as a backup...Smiley Wink

I suggest that you keep an eye on the WRData folder but also periodically check in those places within WSA that I have previously mentioned and check whether apps/files have been set as 'Monitor', etc...as that will be a good indicator if the folder is likely to be increasing and you may be able to look at the monitored apps/files and decide whether it is justified, etc. I have on ocassion decided that the app being monitored was 'good' and switched the 'Monitored' to 'Allow', etc., but in most cases I leave wwell alone.

Glad to hear that you are looking to contribute...the more the merrier...so lhope to see you around.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

New Voice

@Daniel: Sounds exciting. I also believe in motivation driven communities, I think the possibilities are great.

I might do that, but what does it mean to whitelist all of my files? That they will be considered harmless? But what if there is a harmful file hiding somewhere, yet to be registered in the filter of Webroot? Is this possible/probable?

@Baldrick: Definitely. The PC that's in question is my laptop of 3 years and just before Chrismas the HDD broke, causing me to lose all of my previous files. That's why I have this HDD now. But yeah, this laptop has a second slot for a HDD/SDD and I'm thinking of getting a SDD aswell as an external HDD to backup all of my files to.
I will keep an eye on the folder. It's currently 63 MB and on the other activated PC it's 52 MB, So it looks ok for now. Hopefully this problem won't reoccur.
I'll also keep an eye on the options of Webroot you suggested.

Thanks you two! See you around.

@newuser123 wrote:
@daniel: Sounds exciting. I also believe in motivation driven communities, I think the possibilities are great.

I might do that, but what does it mean to whitelist all of my files? That they will be considered harmless? But what if there is a harmful file hiding somewhere, yet to be registered in the filter of Webroot? Is this possible/probable?

@Baldrick: Definitely. The PC that's in question is my laptop of 3 years and just before Chrismas the HDD broke, causing me to lose all of my previous files. That's why I have this HDD now. But yeah, this laptop has a second slot for a HDD/SDD and I'm thinking of getting a SDD aswell as an external HDD to backup all of my files to.
I will keep an eye on the folder. It's currently 63 MB and on the other activated PC it's 52 MB, So it looks ok for now. Hopefully this problem won't reoccur.
I'll also keep an eye on the options of Webroot you suggested.

Thanks you two! See you around.

If you use some not well known programs it takes longer for the Cloud to say it's Good so if you contact support they can whitelist all of your files then there will be less chance of certain programs from being Monitored hence using up more Hard Drive space. Also support will let you know all is OK and any other info they might add as they Basically look at your scan log.

HTH,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Frequent Voice

I see this thread is quite old but it seems this is not really solved yet. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I recently found out about the problem when my HDD had limited space left for no apparent reason. I regularly use and update applications WSA tends to automatically 'Monitor' or 'Deny', causing problems. So I regularly have to interact manually with WSA to whitelist. Now, looks like there's a second task for me to do, regularly contact support or uninstall/reinstall/delete .db files.

Had to uninstall WSA on my main PC because it's become just too much work to maintain WSA. Not so much an issue on another PC with less programs but still. Please advise if there's an imminent, permanent solution for this. There isn't much logic for Webroot taking so much care (and publicity) to keep the installer file size less than a single Megabyte, but have no problem at all to allow tens of Gigabytes to cram the users hard disks.

Popular Voice

'Please advise if there's an imminent, permanent solution for this.'

I don't think so. I have WSA on two machines - Win 7 and Win 8.1. WRData is sitting on 1.75GB, and I just checked my Win 7 machine: 11.4GB. I have had numerous interactions with Support on the latter, whitelistings, uninstalls/reinstalls - to no avail.

So I have kinda given up on a solution for this. At renewal time each year the question is do I stick with WSA ... so far I have because at the end of the day space is not really an issue for me. Bt it isn't really good enough. And I am not sure what I would want to replace it with. It doesn't seem like it's a general problem but for those that have it - 11.4GB, really!

Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will Whitelist your files and ask them how to delete the Montoring files in the WRData Folder.

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Well after they whitelist all your files and you do a scan then you can delete all of the db.numbers.db files as you can see I have 1 very small one! But only after getting your files Whitelisted and support tells you to do a scan!

2015-04-07_9-40-09.png