Did You Know?

3d2k
Accepted Solution

Copy/Paste Stops Working in some applications

[ Edited ]

Kit

I have an issue with a couple of users who have Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete installed.

I have been using your products for over 5 years now and recommend them to anyone and everyone, however the exclusion issue may be going to cause me a problem today!

These users are using a database application and intermittently they lose the Copy/Paste functionality in this application and indeed on the whole PC, one is Windows 7 the other Windows XP.

The database support department have been approached and we were advised to turn off Webroot and see what happened.  Turns out that turning Webroot off alleviates the Copy/Paste functionality not working, so it looks as if Webroot is the root cause.  I will say that my investigations have uncovered plenty of noise on the Internet of users with similar issues where other applications and functionality have been highlighted as possible causes ie RDPclient.exe etc.

Anyway, the DB vendor has advised that we exclude a couple of folders from the realtime scanning and see if that fixes the issue with Webroot turned on....

...over to you :-), before I take the decision to find an alternative.

Regards

Brian

Edit: Split off into new topic - Kit

Please use plain text.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter
Kit

Re: Copy/Paste Stops Working in some applications

Hi Brian!

I moved your message off into its own topic to allow peopleto find it more easily and to reflect the issue rather than the assumed cause.

The good news is that it's unrelated to realtime scanning.  Third party software companies will generally recommend exclusion from the AV as a mattr of course and for troubleshooting.

The symptoms you are experiencing are related to the Identity Shield functionality, which is explicitly made to block access to certain functionality such as the screen contents and clipboard in some cases.  There are a few possibilities on what is occurring in this specific one. I make the assumption, though possibly inaccurately, that a browser is running while this symptom occurs. If no browser is running at all and this continues to happen, contact support immediately for diagnostics gathering and escalation.

Go to the Identity & Privacy tab and click "View/Edit Protected Applications"

- Is the DB program or any part of it listed under "Deny"?  If so, change it to "Allow".

- Review the "Deny" list.  Any program that you explicitly trust that is set to "Deny" may be changed to "Allow" safely.

If this resolves the issue, you may want to open a support ticket from one of the affected systems with the reason of System Impact (Slowdown) or similar and request cloud evaluation of the DB program. If it's not a common one, it may still be Unknown in the database and that can cause it to be placed into Deny.

If...

- The DB program is listed under "Protect"

- Turning off the Identity Shield (follow up by doing a "shut down protection" and then re-run it with the Identity Shield off) corrects it but nothing was listed under "Deny"

...and/or

- Setting all items under the Protected Applications list from "Deny" or "Protect" to "Allow" resolves it

You may temporarily resolve it by setting everything to Allow (Including browsers, however they will return to the list when they update), or by turning the Identity Shield off.  Contact with support for escalation is highly recommended at that point.

Kit - Prior Webroot Quality Assurance / Prior Webroot Escalation Engineer

Please use plain text.
Community Guide
dtouch

Most clipboard applications begin with similar issue.. I had been wondering and and finally setting them allow in identity shield sorts the problem.

Community Guide

My Rig : Asus G750 Custom . Powered by Windows 8.1 x64 . Intel i7 4960X Extreme Edition . 32GB RAM  . Dual NVIDIA GTX 880M

Please use plain text.
JimM
Topics: 299
Kudos: 1,320
Solutions: 395

I'm told there is some development being done around fixing the copy/paste problems. Hopefully we'll start to see some results of that work pretty soon. :smileyhappy:
/// JimM ///
/// Former Community Manager - Now Humble Internet Citizen///
/// Also Formerly a Technical Support Escalations Engineer ///
Please use plain text.
New Voice
skywalker

Thank You for the answer!  I've been cursing *@(@*@  about what's been blocking my copy/paste operations and now I know. 

I'm adding the troublesome apps into the listing for now.  Keep us posted!  

Please use plain text.
peacefl

Kit, if you do choose "allow" does that allow for the entire browser to then be vulnerable to attack ?
Please use plain text.
JimM
Topics: 299
Kudos: 1,320
Solutions: 395

[ Edited ]

Hi peacefl,
Kit is no longer with Webroot, so he might not reply (though he's more than welcome to!). However, this topic is six months old, and the issue in question may not even be an issue any longer. Are you encountering a problem with copy/paste? Does the problem go away when you disable the Identity Shield? Which program is having the issue?

To answer your question, if you were to choose to allow for a browser, yes it would make the browser vulnerable at least insofar as the protection offered by the Identity Shield specifically is concerned. You would still be protected against malicious executables trying to target a browser because of Webroot's other shields, but certain other avenues could be open to attack at that point.

If you can specify some details about the problem you're running into, I'm sure we can help.

/// JimM ///
/// Former Community Manager - Now Humble Internet Citizen///
/// Also Formerly a Technical Support Escalations Engineer ///
Please use plain text.
peacefl

I work for a company and I have to use my browser to see customer tickets, but when I attempt to copy and paste, webroot is blocking that functionality I have went into that area described above and checked "Allow" for I.E., Chrome and Firefox. Is there some other way to tweak this in Webroot instead of that option so that it is actually protecting the browsers ? or no?.
Please use plain text.
Rakanisheu

Are you using a 3rd party app to interact with the browser? If so I could whitelist any 3rd party apps. As for leaving the browser on allow you are still protected from threats that are downloaded to your PC. The malware engine and threat detection is still running regardless of the setting. The entire browser shield is being completely reworked for our next realise and should elimate this type of issue.

Please use plain text.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter
Kit

O.o

True, I may not reply.  Or I might...

Setting the browser to Allow as a whole does remove specifically a few parts of ID shield protection from the browser, but is useful for troubleshooting. Turning off the ID shield completely turns all of it off.

A better way to do it is to look for anything you recognize as safe that is marked as "Deny" in the ID Shield and set it to allow. Also get Unknowns of stuff you run while working with the tickets to Rak for determination, since Unknown things can get silently blocked by the ID shield in some configurations.

Kit - Prior Webroot Quality Assurance / Prior Webroot Escalation Engineer

Please use plain text.