Solved

Curious as to why some features are not on by default

• 8 October 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Heya -- loving the new version, but I'm curious as to why some things are not enabled by default...I could be wrong, but it seems as though the "Enable enhanced heuristics based on behavior, origin, age, and popularity of files" sort of behavior used to be the default, not just "Enable standard heuristics."

Also, I'm curious as to why "Enable Webroot Infrared" is not enabled by default, as well as protecting the hosts file?

I'm glad all these features are there of course, not complaining, just ... wondering. Since things like Infrared are selling points of the new version, I would have thought they would be on by default.

icon

Best answer by pegas 8 October 2013, 11:49

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Joe simplified the configuration! This is my settings. And as the Host File protection on a clean install it is checked by default.

HTH,

TH

Userlevel 1
Cool, yeah, I did that too. But to me it seems like the default settings are too lenient given what powerful things Webroot can do so non-intrusively.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
To 99.9% of the users use the default settings and is recommended but for more knowledgeable users Tweaks can be done to fit any user to the way they see fit in the Advance Settings.

TH
Userlevel 5
Whilst I agree the settings can be tweaked by those who wish to change them for their own purpose, I too am curious as to the default behaviours.

When I installed WSA 8.0.4.17, the settings Terry mentioned were on, that is, the items were ticked as he expected them to be.

Could it be that a clean install will present the default settings above whilst updating over an older version may not have those items checkmarked?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well to my knowledge every system is different and when it does it's install scan it looks for other possible apps that are already protecting the Host file and maybe from another AV so it makes other such adjustments to coexist.

TH

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Terry more info here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C1_GetStarted/CH1a_Installing.htm and Here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C13_Settings/CH13d_AdjustingHeuristics.htm

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
Could it be that a clean install will present the default settings above whilst updating over an older version may not have those items checkmarked?
I think so because after automatic upgrade I was getting WSA prompts as I was used in the previous version without the need to change settings. However upon clean installation of the new version these prompts disappeared until I adjusted settings back.

I am just speculating but some issues after upgrade might stem from the fact that the new version poses simplified settings (granularity and some settings were removed). So my recomendation is to do a clean installation rather than upgrade. WSA is so easy and fast to reinstall, it lasts no more than a couple of minutes.
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Well to my knowledge every system is different and when it does it's install scan it looks for other possible apps that are already protecting the Host file and maybe from another AV so it makes other such adjustments to coexist.

In my case, I do have another AV installed, for testing purposes, and I did a clean install of WSA. I got the default settings as described in the Help file you linked to. Pegas also confirms what happened to him re: fresh install v. upgrading over an exisiting installation. This leads me to wonder if Terry did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install.

I agree with pegas that a clean install is probably best, especially since settings have been simplified in this version of WSA.
Userlevel 1
This was an in-place upgrade, automatically executed by the previous version. I have no other security solutions in place, either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

In my case, I do have another AV installed, for testing purposes, and I did a clean install of WSA. I got the default settings as described in the Help file you linked to. pegas also confirms what happened to him re: fresh install v. upgrading over an exisiting installation. This leads me to wonder if Terry did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install.

I agree with pegas that a clean install is probably best, especially since settings have been simplified in this version of WSA.
True a clean install would be best but how many of the 30 Million will do so and how many will change the settings? Also upgrade from 2013 to 2014 most will not do a thing with the settings only the knowledgeable ones will.

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
This was an in-place upgrade, automatically executed by the previous version. I have no other security solutions in place, either.
Did you have the Host File Protection Checked in the 2013 version and then the upgrade came and it was unchecked?

TH
Userlevel 1
I wish I could answer that but I do not know for sure. Was it enabled by default in previous versions? If so I would say it was likely enabled. But then again, it's also very possible that at some point I would have disabled it when needing to change the host file for my job for a specific use case I was testing, and just had a mental full-stop and didn't re-enable it.

I have a couple other PC's with WSA installed, that I know I haven't tinkered with in the past. I'll see how those came up after the upgrade this evening when I get home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great as the 2013 version the Host File protection was not checked by default but a clean install of the 2014 version it is but upgrade I'm not sure as I was on the 2014 Beta before the 2014 was released.

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Great as the 2013 version the Host File protection was not checked by default but a clean install of the 2014 version it is
I confirm the HOSTs file protection is enabled following a clean install of the 2014 product.