Solved

Didn't locate Virus

• 18 September 2013
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Guys,
I had a some issues wil malware  in my computer and webroot didn't find them at al although another program did is there any way I can configure webroot to be more effective in finding malware?
icon

Best answer by JimM 18 September 2013, 22:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
When this occurs, often times what the other program is finding is remnants of an infection that no longer exists.  Webroot does not concern itself with leftover registry entries that don't point at anything or empty text files a virus created in a log directory that just sit there doing nothing.  However, many other antivirus programs do consider these things to be valid positives.  Similarly, Windows settings involving your firewall might be picked up by programs like MalwareBytes, whereas Webroot does not identify Windows settings as threats themselves but rather focuses on protecting your computer from actual threats.

You can always increase your heuristics settings if you like, but there is a little bit more chance of false positives occurring when you do this.  To change that setting, go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Heuristics > and change the sliders as you see fit.  Please read the descriptions of the settings as you change them to get an idea of what the various settings accomplish.

It's also very important to mention that we do provide free virus removal services for our customers in the rare case that something gets through. In such cases, please open a support ticket.

Please also see this video on what happens when Webroot misses a virus.  It's still capable of reverting any changes the infection makes once the infection is identified.  :)

*edit - broken link fixed 🙂
JimM,

The video link you offered is dead.

Userlevel 7
Jim wanted to give you this link :D
Userlevel 7
I would like to get the details of what the other program picked up. If you have the log files from the other program it would be great. 
Userlevel 1
The program that did find the virus was Kapersky Internet Sercurty..
Userlevel 4
Can I ask if you had both Kaspersky and Webroot installed and turned on at the same time when this infection was caught by Kaspersky?
Userlevel 7
I will need more information, can you post the logs from Kapersky or upload them to a file sharing website like Filedropper.