Solved

Does webroot block sites because of the site or because of something on the site?

• 30 June 2013
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
I recently had a site that was benign, or so I thought, blocked. Does it sometimes block good sites for having some bad ad or something on it?
icon

Best answer by JimM 2 July 2013, 19:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Cloud!

As far as I know, yes.  If the site is receiving content from multiple servers (Like what happens with ads, links, etc) and one of the links for included content is flagged as bad, it can block the site.  If you think the block was in error, you should submit a Trouble Ticket to have it looked into.
Userlevel 7
The short answer is "Yes."

To expand, our classification system looks for threats on sites and classifies them accordingly. Then when you visit the site, it checks its reputation in our database. This reputation can /sometimes/ be outdated or need re-evaluation. When that happens, we suggest you put in a support ticket. One reason this can happen is that there was a threat on a site and then the threat was removed. We treat those sites with a higher degree of suspicion because they were hacked at some point or hosted malware at some point in the past. It doesn't necessarily mean they still do, but their reputation is an important factor in how we classify them.
Thanks! I've been trying for months to get an answer as to why webroot is blocking so many sites that I never had any problem with before installing webroot. I would guess those sites that I don't visit because they've been blocked are not too happy if in fact they are not a threat.
Userlevel 7
Hell0 ctutt and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am sorry you have spent so long looking for an answer to that question. 😞 Now that you have found us here, grab a chair and stay around! This is a great place to learn more about Webroot software, and there are a lot of good people here who enjoy answering questions about it ready to help!

Remember what Jim said above regarding a Trouble Ticket. If you experience a site that is blocked, or some part of the content is blocked, and you feel it shouldn't be, file that ticket to request a possible false positive! You can also check the URL at Brightcloud to get a bit more information about it.
Userlevel 7
Hello ctutt,

Thanks for making me feel welcome! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Welcome, ctutt! The Web Threat Shield is being overhauled in the forthcoming 2014 release of Webroot SecureAnywhere, which will significantly improve it in many ways and will cut down on the number of false positives you're seeing with the current implementation.