ETHERNET DOESN’T T HAVE A VALID IP CONFIGURATION

• 29 May 2017
  • 1 reply

I spent a lot of time on this.  I removed Webroot SA complete because I was getting error 10 and 21 for backup and file sync (still have that problem but screw it).  Then my ethernet quit working and I got a ETHERNET DOESN’T T HAVE A VALID IP CONFIGURATION error in Windows.  The first time I tried to reinstall it gave me a Bad keycode error and I figured it need to handshake to confirm the Key.  

I did confirm that Webroot SE was completely removed and not running but my nic card would only give me a 169.x.x.x address and I could not ping 127.0.0.1.  After a lot of time I tried reinstalling webroot again and it wokred and the problem went away and I am mostly posting this so someone else doesn't have this same issue.

Why if I have completely removed webroot was my network completely nerfed?

Guy

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Noumenon

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have not heard of this happening as a result of WRSA...but there is always a first time.

As far as I know the "Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error" is caused by DHCP being unable to get a valid IP Address from one's NIC (Network Interface Card). WRSA should not be affecting this area, but thanks for posting your experiences...potentially useful for other users as and when they come up against a similar or the same issue.

Given that WRSA should not have affected your system this way then complete removal of WRSA should likewise have not resulted in the issue.

For future reference please see THIS KB Article from the MS Support Forums...it may shed some light on the issue for you.

Regards, Baldrick