Solved

False Postitive XNviewMP?

• 7 July 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I tried to download XNviewMP from the Authors website (http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/) but it was detected as a trojan & blocked.

A prior scan of the site using Virustotal rated it as a clean site by numerous security vendors.
This is a long established software vendor.

I'm kinda doubtful this is a true positive but thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of this.
Putting XNviewMP & Webroot into a search engine produced reports of a false positive dated 2005.
Surely this has not been outstanding for 8 years????

I have submitted a support ticket but imagine it will take days & days to get any answer.
icon

Best answer by chris2kari 9 July 2013, 01:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Oh boy are you in for a surprise! "days & days" don't exist here. It's usually hours.
Userlevel 7
Hello Chris2kari and welcome ot the Webroot Community!

As it is the weekend, and a holiday weekend at that, there is a chance that your ticket may take a little longer to process than normal.  I will be very surprised if you do not hear from support by tomorrow though.  I reported a false positive on a download last week, and the ticket was checked, researched, the download verified as clean and then whitelisted within just a couple of hours.

Do Not file another trouble ticket though.. just be patient.  Submitting another one will likely have the result of pushing the ticket to the bottom of the pile, which will delay your response from them.

Userlevel 1
Yep!
How refreshing!
11 hours to get a meaningful human response.
No 48 delay waiting for a 'ticket'. No long delay waiting for a scripted 'is your computer turned on' rubbish.
10 hours later I was notified that the false positive was confirmed & corrected.

:D

I recently bought a subscription for the much vaunted Bitdefender but found it was very buggy & their support was ridiculously slow so I asked for and got a refund and switched to WR.

:D

Thank you very much to those who responded!

Chris
Userlevel 7
Hello chris2kari, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum & the Webroot Family. 😃