Solved

How found out Windows Firewall is controling only inbound?

• 20 September 2016
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi Webrooters :)

is there any way so i can found out Windows Firewall is controlling only my inbound connections? i a little search in that and see both inbound and outbound connection part on that.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 21 September 2016, 23:48

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Parham

WIndows Firewall alone controls/looks after the inbound conmnections and if you want to look at what is going on then you need to use the buily in 'Windows Firewal with Advanced Securtity option (type that into the search field in or next to the Start button and that should get you there) or you can use a 3rd party application like Windows Firewall Control 4 which is effectively just a ncider front end to the built in firewall, plus some default rules, etc.

In the case of the outbound connection WSA works with the built in Windows Firewall to secure the connection...if you like WSA 'hardens' the built in firewall in the outbound connection area.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Hi Parham

WIndows Firewall alone controls/looks after the inbound conmnections and if you want to look at what is going on then you need to use the buily in 'Windows Firewal with Advanced Securtity option (type that into the search field in or next to the Start button and that should get you there) or you can use a 3rd party application like Windows Firewall Control 4 which is effectively just a ncider front end to the built in firewall, plus some default rules, etc.

In the case of the outbound connection WSA works with the built in Windows Firewall to secure the connection...if you like WSA 'hardens' the built in firewall in the outbound connection area.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick Good Day!

Thanks for the reply.

well in last month i never have even 1 message from WSA Firewall, so this problem give me a bad feel or something like unprotected feeling you know? i hope you know really i hope you underestand what i'm trying to say

so is there any way so i can check/test WSA Firewall and controling on my outbound connections? is there any program for example or any exe file ( if yourself can provide that for me i will gratefull 🙂 ) so i can see any message from my WSA Firewall?
Userlevel 7
Hi ParhamIf you update an already allowed application in many cases, if the element that does the connection has changed, you should get the message asking if it should be allowed, allowed once or blocked.I cannot advise as to specific applications but see if you can update a few of those installed on system and see if they make the request.Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Thank You for the reply dear Baldrick.

i just updated my  Desktop Telegram, and no message show up by Webroot Firewall :(

Note: when i run Telegram , WSA put it on Monitoring , so if that will be updating WSA should show a message right?
Userlevel 7
As I said, Parham, not all updates will cause a prompt to allow connectivity...it just depends on what elements of the application in question has been updated...if it is not the element that connects to the Internet then you will NOT get a warning.

I would suggest that you download some NEW application never installed before that you know will connect to the Internet, i.e., a trace route or network-related application. That may do the trick.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The release version doesn't have the Firewall Controls it's only in the Beta for now. And in the release and the Beta it's a smart Firewall as it will block malicious files from calling out. Now in the Beta you can Block apps from calling out as well as malicious files and is still a smart firewall as it uses the Cloud database.

Like in here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Outbound-connections-fw-control-in-Win-8-Win-8-1/idi-p/60003/page/6#comments

Managing Firewalls

The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.
You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.
The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/599/Managing-Firewalls

EDIT: ?

Userlevel 5
Thank You ? but i guess if that NEW software be Trusted by Webroot i never seen any message from Firewall , and currently i don't know any unknown  software :(

Thanks ? for your reply but still it have a Firewall ! should show a message finally ! those are heustrics options that will add on next version
Userlevel 7
Not so, Parham, but best to find yourself an obscure applcation that needs Internet access and install it...that should do the trick.

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
download telegram updates was unrecognized because when i run it WSA do monitor it

but WSA Firewall show no alert message

well i will wait for next version and Firewall Controls.

i just still worried about this i wish next version release sooner :)

Thanks for your helps .
Userlevel 5
?

dear Baldrick, i downloaded Windows firewall control 4.

i shot 2 picture , it's really confusing ! Windows Firewall should not manage inbound connections? but the only options i have seen and checked was about outbound connection which should control by WSA Firewall ! 😞 :

?
Userlevel 7
Parham

WIndows Firewall, if active on your system will manage both inbound & outbound connections...WSA hardens the outbound connections but the inbound are just fine managed via Windows Firewall. WFC4 is not a firewall per se but a Firewall HELPER, i.e., it assists one in handling the WIndows Firewall given that the built in client that Microsoft provide is a bit rubbish in terms of understanability.

If you want to visuallise and check out both inbound & outbound via WFC4 then check the appropriate option for that.

Regards, Baldrick