I would like to use the Webroot Firewall to selectively block outbound program requests.

• 11 April 2015
  • 1 reply

I would like to use the Webroot  Firewall to selectively block outbound program requests.  The instrction for firewall settings seem a little vague (at least to me) if this is possible.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Are any other instructions available -- assuming it can be accomplished.

Thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi krazykat

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Firstly, the key point here is whether you are running Win8/8.1 or an earlier version of Windows?  If Win8/8.1 then the firewall features within WSA to control outbound connections are handled differently to earlier versions of Windows.  Please see this discussion that covers it, particularly this comment which quotes the previous VP of Endpoint Security on the subject. Basically, on Windows 8, ALL 3rd party firewall software is simply controlling the built in Windows Firewall, no matter where the software is from.

If pre-Win8 then have you seen/read https://community.webroot.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/WSA-C/message-id/How to add firewall exceptions KB Article, if not then I recommend that you take a look at that and then come back with any further questions you may have.  But essentially, one cannot specifically set up a rule for how something connects outbound to the internet, as one can with other firewalls.  If a program attempts to make an outbound connection you can either allow it once or allow it always and WSA then handles the rest.  You can then change a 'Block' to 'Allow' or vice versa at a later stahe or remove the rule but there is no more granular control allowed under WSA.

If you want more granular control you will need to use/install one of the few Windows Firewall helper apps that are available...if interested just PM me and I can pass on the information I have.

I hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick