Identity Protection and Windows Clipboard

• 14 February 2014
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
I had no idea that WRSA was watching the Clipboard.  Yes, I see it listed as something which is monitored, but I was unaware that "normal" use of the Clipboard would suddenly be blocked.

I spent quite a while chasing ghosts before I found the problem and set the blocked applications to "Protect" in the Identity Protection section of WRSA.

Apparently WRSA knows about cut and paste with standard applications, such as Microsoft Office, Outlook Express, etc.  It even allows somewhat obscure compilers, like PureBasic.  But an Australian program (ToDoList) wasn't identified as benign and it got blocked.

Because WRSA did this "quietly", I had functional cut and paste which suddenly stopped working.  For one application.

So, the advice to others is that, if your cut and paste functionality suddenly quits for one application, check Identity Protection to see if that application has been blocked.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for posting this tip.  There are a lot of applications out there, so ToDoList must not be on our whitelist.  As long as you can manually whitelist it then things are ok, but if that ever fails you can contact us to get that resolved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Okay. Im in learning. Mode and what is the whitelist? I have an Imac too.
Userlevel 7
Hi sherjj

What I believe that Nic is referring to when he speaks about 'manually whitelisting' is what the OP advised when they said "...check Identity Protection to see if that application has been blocked."

You can find the advanced optiosn for  Identity Protection as follows:

1. Click on the gear/cog to the right of the Identity protection tab on the main screen.
2. Click on the tab marked 'Application Protection' that is shown on the new page you see.
3. There you will see application listed with rights as either 'Protect', 'Allow' or 'Deny'

This is all covered in the following two help topics Managing Identity Protection & Managing protected applications which should cover all you need to know.

HTH?  But if yo have any further questions please come back.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi dmazur

Hope that you are well?

Not heard back from you further to whether your issue has been resolved or not.  Would be good to get some feedback as it all helps us know whether we are suceeding in our mission to help users.

Anyway, have a great weekend, and hope to see you around again some time.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
:DMore smilieys please..thanks for explaing whitelist. Will review information soon. I installed WRA on my one desktop, and surprise surprise it found a virus and blocking logitech. I knew it!! I procrastinated on hooking this PC to the internet. Because?ISomething knocked out the network card and the wireless keyboard would quit for no reason. Really? Anyway Im on a roll now. I did fix these issues and now hopefully I can keep it protected. Gonna have a great weekend piling all my apps and pictures into these 2 PCs. Still waiting for support call from WR for Mac OS.

Hey ya all have a boondabaw weekend!! Ha Im out of breathe!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi @  if you don't mind can I ask what SSS means? :D

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well I used to work on computers and my
Logo was SherrysSystemServices? So I like SSS and my maiden name is Seal so there it is. Silly girl I am..funny you ask that. Just use it for signatures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Like I do most of the times Sherry!

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
That.gif just made my Friday nite...oops it's past mid ntie...Cheers,
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
where can I post a question?
Userlevel 7
Hi sherjj

You should be able to post a new thread on any of the public fora.  What seems to be the problem?  

Regards

Baldrick