In C:Program DataWRData there is 54GB in mostly db files. Is that normal. My HDD is low on space

• 22 August 2015
  • 3 replies

Is 54GB of data in the above mentioned folder normal. I have low HDD space and it would be helpful to delete som or all of these files unless they are critical to function.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Best Regards 

RichW

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi RichW

Welcome to the community Forums.

What you are seeing is probably normal because you most likely have a number of files or apps that WSA is monitoring and when it does that it creates a journal file for each monitored item that contains a record of all actions the associated file/app has executed on your system since the start of it being monitored.

Once WSA determines that the file/app is 'good' or 'bad' it stops monitoring and takes the appropriate action (in the case of 'bad' files it uses the journalled information to reverse the actions of the now determined to be bad file/app)  but in many cases it does not remove the journalling files which are in the format 'dbnnnn.db.

These can be manually deleted but it must be done with care as if you remove a journal file for something that is yet to be determined god or bad and it ends up to be bad then WSA will no longer have the journal file to use to rollback the actions.

Now the simple way to clear the deal with the journalling files is to uninstall WSA and then clean reinstall it...but again if you uninstall when it is monitoring something that later proves to be bad...etc.

So in terms of doing so manually, and you should be technically confident, you should first check in the following 3 places in WSA to see if any files/apps are being monitored:

1. PC Security > Block/Allow Files
  2. Identity Protection > Application Protection
  3. Utilities > System Control > Control Active Processes

and once there the user usually has the options to:

1. "Allow"
  2. "Protect/Monitor"
  3. "Block/Deny"
Check to see if any thing is being monitored. If nothing is being monitored then by definition you do not need the 'dbnnnn.db' files in WRDATA, and so carefully can delete them.

If files are being monitored then I would take a different approach and look at the date of the 'dbnnnn.db' files and what I do is delete any that are say over 2 weeks old as being unlikely to be required any more.

There is a risk in doing that as I have stated before but in the main I have not had any issues to date.  Just be careful not to delete anything in the folder that is NOT a 'dbnnnn.db' file or a 'dbnnnn.db' file that is relatively current.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Regards, Baldrick

Thanks for the answer. I followed your suggestions and things are working fine.

Thanks

RichW
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ? and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

With that amount of Journaling I would Submit a Support Ticket and get your files whitelisted then it will stop monitoring them and stop the growth of the files in your WRData Folder.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉