Solved

In Windows 10 and FireFox 64 bit I keep getting pop-unders.

• 16 July 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
When I visit some web sites (yahoo news in particular) when I click on a link to see a story or close ads once clicked I get constant pop-unders.  The only way I even know it happens is when I notice all of the open pages behind the FireFox logo in the tray.  If I close all of them then they just reappear whern I hit another site that sneaks them in.  Any idea how to stop this?
icon

Best answer by Dermot7 17 July 2016, 10:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi haiweepp

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, the first thing to do in Firefox (and in any browser for that matter) is to check on how & if necessary adjust/change how it  handles pop-ups. To do that undertake the following:

1. Open Firefox
2. Click on either the orange Firefox button or click the Tools menu option, in the top left corner.
3. Click on 'Options'
4. Click on the 'Content' option in the Options window
5. By default, the 'Block pop-up windows' option should be enabled/checked. Enable/check this option if it is currently unchecked.
6. If there are sites you want to allow pop-ups for, click the 'Exceptions' button, enter the relevant site URL, and click the 'Allow'  button.

There is also a way of doing this via the back door, i.e., using the 'about:config' instruction but we will leave that unless you feel technically proficient & would like to know about it (and also if the above does not work ;)).

Another option, which can be used as well as the above, is to download and install a popup blocker addon. There are many available and below are a couple that a number of us here in the Community:

1. uBlock Origin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss
2. Privacy Badger: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/privacy-badger-firefox/

Well, I hope that helps? If not or if you have further questions then please post back and we will try to help further.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Actually, it's not pop-ups that are the problem (I checked that years ago and don't have a problem with them).  It's the pop-unders that are the issue.  They are constant pages that are opened but hide until I try to close FireFox and then I find 5-10 pages opened that are pure spam ads.  Those are what are annoying as hell.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community. 

If I could just add something to say that Baldrick's advice is still valid, even though you are referring to pop-unders, and most importantly you need to install an effective ad blocker, for example uBlock Origin, as stated by Baldrick. Thanks.  

Probably Baldrick may have some more info, if it is needed also. Thanks.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Okie doke.  I'll get the ad blocker and try that.  I do appreciate the help. 
I too was bothered by the pesky never ending floating ads and pop unders but once I installed the ad blocker which was suggested by Baldrick, I'm happy to say I now have no ads what so ever.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The UBlock worked and the problem seems to be solved.  I thank you all for your time and great advice.
Userlevel 7
No worries, that is one of the main reasons we are here...to help! ;)