Solved

Lag during program or game installs WIN8x64

Userlevel 1
Hi guys,
I had inadvertently hijacked another thread in this forum with my issue, but decided to make my own.  First I wanted to say I like this community and people really seem to care about issues around here, unlike what I've heard from other antivirus/security providers...

My issue is with Webroot's lag when I install programs or games.  I have a pretty healthy Steam catalogue and I tend to install a lot of games.  I've noticed when installing program or game for the first time there will sometimes be a lag after clicking on the installer .exe.  In the bottom right corner of the screen a Webroot popup will flash with "activity monitor" and a path.  It can happen several times during the install.  The kicker is that sometimes I don't know if the installer finished or not.  It just vanishes. I'm on WIN 8 x64 (legit, not pirate) and am running no other security products, just Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete.  It tends to stop happening on subsequent openings of the game or program, until I get a patch or upgrade, then the Activity monitor pops up again.  

As a gamer, I'm neurotic about actual or perceived slowdowns on my system.  What should I do?  Submit logs or open a ticket or is this just the price of doing business with the way Webroot protects your computer?

Thanks!

shady
icon

Best answer by JimM 30 May 2013, 21:39

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes that can happen as WSA is checking with the Cloud to see if the files are good, bad or unknown. If you right click on the WSA Tray Icon and Click Save a Scan Log and look to see if there allot of files that have [u] in front of them if so the best thing to do is Submit a Support Ticket and copy and paste all of those lines in the ticket to get them whitelisted and checked.

HTH,

TH

Example these are mine as I updated VMware: But Please don't post them here!

Some legitimate files are not included in this log
[u] c:program files (x86)vmwarevmware workstationzlib1.dll [MD5: 0C60CB7D05DC0149C04EA9ECA6C041F2] [Flags: 00081010.10771]
[u] c:program files (x86)vmwarevmware workstationglib-2.0.dll [MD5: 0D4DCD90D8730B3C321BF5752E87A0A9] [Flags: 00081010.10760]
[u] c:program files (x86)vmwarevmware workstationvmwarewui.dll [MD5: D2DEB72F2E3ABFCFB78316FC7DE2DD11] [Flags: 00081010.10772]

Userlevel 1
LOL, it's all starting to make sense... maybe...

I ran the log and I have 140 [u] entries...

Funny thing is, I haven't installed a 10th of my total game library on there yet. Mostly Intel RST issues and Crysis 2. I'll file a support ticket. Thanks TH
Userlevel 7
When you notice this happening, it's best to open a support case to let us know. Since it only happens the first time you run the program, the value to you is, to be honest, somewhat limited. But every time such a lag is noticed and reported by a user, we can take a look at those files and get them whitelisted (where appropriate of course), and the net benefit is that nobody else has to deal with that one-time lag. If everybody did this, the percentage of "It lagged the first time I opened it" kind of issues would drop off significantly. You would kind of be a hero for reporting those things!

The notification you're referring to is one that you get when you check the box in the settings for "Show the authenticating files popup when a new file is scanned on-execution." I find it helpful to check that box as well, because when you see the pop-up, you immediately know that Webroot is working extra hard to try to determine an Unknown file.

Installers are big programs that generally take a while to run, and they are doing a lot. They edit the registry, add files to user folders, and extract a lot of stuff from archives. For every action they take, Webroot doubles the length of time on that action when the file is Unknown, because it's journaling those actions in preparation for any possible necessary rollback, in the event the file turns out to be Bad. As such, the one-time lag is expected in those circumstances because it's a choice between either protecting the system or maximizing performance. You can't always have both, and this situation is the prime example. Fortunately, performance is only noticeably impacted once.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Jim is absolutely correct once you get everything installed and running with most files show [g] after that it will be snappy as ever again! ;)

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Reply here when you created a ticket or run the below logs and let me know and I`ll whitelist the logs. I use my PC exclusively for gaming and I havent noticed any issues. Although I havent run Crysis 2 on my PC (have it on 360).

1. Download Webroot's log-gathering utility from the following link:

<a href="http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe">http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe</a>

2. Save the file to your Desktop (or the preferred Download folder of your web browser).  

3. Once it has finished downloading, double-click the wsalogs.exe file on your Desktop to run it.

4. In the box labeled "Email:", enter the same email address you used for this support site.  

5. Click the "Go!" button to begin the log gathering process.

Expect the utility to take between 1 to 10 minutes to gather the necessary information.  The run time depends on various factors on your computer, including the size of the Webroot software logs and the compression speed of the computer.  This utility is designed to gather extended logs from the Webroot software and basic system information.

The utility will gather the necessary information and will attempt to return it automatically via a secure dropbox connection (please allow PSCP.exe through your firewall, if asked). A copy of the logs will also be present on your Desktop, named in the following fashion "wsalogs_email@you.set_date-time.7z".  The utility will then attempt to return you to this web page, please leave a message letting us know you have sent the requested logs.

If at the conclusion of running the wsalogs utility you are not returned to this web page, please use the "Send Feedback" button or "Help and Support" link in the Webroot SecureAnywhere main overview screen of the application to get back here in order to leave a message letting us know the requested logs have been sent.

Thanks,
Roy Tobin,
Userlevel 1
Ok Rakanisheu,

I shipped the advanced log using the tool you provided.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

shady
Userlevel 1
Hey, dumb question maybe...

What happens if I reinstall Windows?  I'm kind of reinstall-happy so will I have to re-whitelist everything or is that saved on your serve so I don't have to do it every time?

Thanks
shady
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

What happens if I reinstall Windows?  I'm kind of reinstall-happy so will I have to re-whitelist everything or is that saved on your serve so I don't have to do it every time?

Thanks
shady
Hi shady,

Never any dumb questions as most are here to learn from others! No need to re-whitelist as it done in the Cloud only if the program changes or updated but most times it does it automatically but if you use not well known programs you might have to send the files from the scan log to get them whitelisted!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Thanks
shady
Hi shady,

Never any dumb questions as most are here to learn from others! No need to re-whitelist as it done in the Cloud only if the program changes or updated but most times it does it automatically but if you use not well known programs you might have to send the files from the scan log to get them whitelisted!

HTH,

Daniel ;)
So I guess everything is ok now.  I've uninstalled/resintalled Webroot per the support desk's instructions and my computer seems to be running smooth.  I was sitting on a 5 user license and I'll be activating it on my 3 workstations when the trial runs out in 3 days.  Like, honestly the whole support thing was more than I'd ever done to get an AV working on a computer before, but I see how hard you guys work to keep customers happy, so in my mind you deserve my business.

Thanks Again!
shady
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear shady and you're always very Welcome and we are always here to help! ;)

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 1
Yeah after whitelisting some stuff with support, game installs are way smoother.  Thanks guys!