Solved

Logging On To Webroot Features Using Password Vault

• 21 January 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
Logging on to certain features on Webroot, such as this Community, requires me to manually type in my user name and password.    I've noticed this on other Webroot functions.  Why can't you simplify Webroot log ins by permitting storage of all user names and passwords in the vault and allowing them to apply to all functions?

Also, why is it necessary, when logging in, to type in the first, or the second, or the third, etc. letter of your password?  I find myself counting on my fingers when I have to do this.  Why not simplify it and let the vault store your password and do away with the selective lettering system?

Sure, security is always an issue, but there are a lot of sites (my bank, my broker, etc.)  that require much more security than Webroot, yet they don't make you jump through hoops to log in the way Webroot does.
icon

Best answer by JimM 23 February 2013, 00:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I have also noticed the behavior that I MAY need to manually log into this community, even though I have already logged into Password Manager.  This only happens if the log in shows up on a pop up window.

There is a workaround of sorts: if you click Reply to a thread, it will bring you to a NON pop up log in screen, which the Password Manager does have access to, so the auto fill-in works.  Of course if you didnt really want to reply to that thread, just to log in, you then need to go back to continue on your way.

Userlevel 6
Thanks, DavidP.  However, I try to simplify my life when I'm online, not complicate it with work arounds.  I'm quickly developing quite a logbook full of work arounds because certain websites don't want to fix the problem.

This is an easy fix for Webroot.
Userlevel 7
I'd like to collect some more information about how this issue is presenting to you.  Can you please private message me some other websites where this issue is happening in the same way?  Please also specify if this happens in a particular browser or any browser in which the Webroot toolbar exists.  Thanks!

Regarding the two-factor authentication in the online console: that's normal.  Two-factor authentication is more secure than a standard password and works to stop brute-forcing attacks in which a malicious script tries repeatedly to break into a user's console by trying various combinations of letters and numbers.  This way, even if it manages to hit the right combination, it still gets stuck at the subsequent screen where it asks for randomly chosen characters from the passcode.
Userlevel 7
This is a tricky issue that seems to only present itself some of the time. Unfortunately, this does not reproduce reliably, and it's unclear if the issue exists for other users or not. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please let us know. This could be computer or browser specific. It might also be as David mentioned that the issue only occurs in the login popup. We have seen this happen before for certain online banking sites that seemingly take extra precautionary measures to intentionally block automatic login programs. This may also be due to a technological limitation in how the page is designed as well. If the issue presents for more than just one or two people, we can get better data to investigate. If anyone else can please let us know if they run into this issue, that would be helpful.

*topic closed because this issue has been discussed in other topics and is pretty conclusively a user-specific password entry issue
Userlevel 7
We finally have an update for this topic. 🙂 My apologies for the lengthy delay.

There is an option called "Save All Entered Data" that appears towards the bottom of the toolbar menu. When using this mode, it should capture the login data. If you run into issues when using "Save All Entered Data," please let us know and we'll continue to investigate.