Solved

MAC dictation does not work after 1st scan

• 25 August 2015
  • 3 replies

I installed Webroot today and ran a scan and removed 2 threats. MacBook OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

I have ALS and need Dictation to type, but it no longer works. HELP!
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 26 August 2015, 23:48

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am not sure why you cannot use the Mac dictation. I have a Mac/ OS X Yosemite and I find my dictation to be working.

Can you turn off dictation, then restart the system.  Then go back in to turn on dictation. See if that helps?

If not would you check and see if Webroot is blocking this Dictation by going here, Managing-File-Detection and also look in your Quarantine and see if your Dictation is listed there?

Otherwise I'd advise you to please submit a Support Ticket so that they can check this out for you encase of a false positive.
This is free of charge with an active subscription.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,
Thank you, I tried those solutions, I went so far as to uninstall enhanced dictation and reinstall no change in results.

However I tried shutting down Webroot and my dictation works again. So something is blocking it, I'm not sure what may be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Please see if the following can help with Dictation.

This solution addresses Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac OS X 10.7 and higher

Due to the unique way in which keyboard shortcuts work on the Mac OS, the secure keyboard entry feature may prohibit shortcut functions in a variety of applications. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite Products, Macro applications, or some built in features that are triggered by key combinations—such as Dictation and Speech.

This can be resolved by clicking the Webroot icon located on the top right of the menu bar, then clicking Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.
 http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/macpausesecurekeyboardentry.png 
Once activated, you will see a checkmark next to the menu option. While this is selected, Webroot SecureAnywhere will not secure keystrokes against keylogging software, though it will still be actively protecting you against infections. It is important to ensure that this function is enabled when browsing the internet—particularly on secure sites that require a username and password.

If you have any questions or require further assistance, click here to submit a Support ticket.

Also I will ping ? our Mac Threat Researcher has any advise.

KInd Regards,