Solved

MSN Login

After installing Webroot SecureAnywhere my MSN login screen is white/empty.  There is a border and the text to switch to another user but the form is blank which doesn't help when trying to login.  I'm using the fat client (it works better for others in the household).  Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by kghadfield 3 January 2014, 02:56

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello kghadfield and welcome to the Webroot Community!

That is pretty unusual as far as I know.  The shields in Webroot for filtering Web content would block the entire page with a warning that the page may be a risk, but I do not think it would normally block just parts of a page as you describe here.

I assume you have rebooted the computer and the problem persists?  You might try to disable Webroot temporarily (Right click on the WSA systray icon and select Shut Down Protection) and try to reload the page.  (Do NOT leave WSA turned off, obviously that would keep it from protecting the computer as designed, this would be just for a few moments to test if the site loads in correctly)

Also, you might try a different browser to see if that makes any difference at all.

If none of the above works, but you can still log in normally from other locations, I would suggest a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take a look at it and determine if it is WSA causing it.
I've rebooted.  I've even removed webroot and all remnants I could find and still have the problem.  It may have been a coincidence that MSN malfunctioned the same time I installed webroot.  MSN is Microsoft software so we may never know why it failed.
Userlevel 7
LOL!  Yes, coincidences do happen, and I was really hoping that would be the case here.  One thing you can still check, if you have not reinstalled WSA yet: your browser add-ons/extensions.  See if the WSA add-ons are still there as you can disabled them as well to help exclude them from being the cause.
I've checked IE and Firefox and there is nothing associated with webroot enabled.  I attempted to add a gadget to see if there was any webroot active and I could not open a gadget... so, I assume there is something active since this was not a problem before.  I looked and did not see any webroot processes or services running.  I need to find a webroot removal tool that will remove any and all remnants of webroot to determine if webroot is the problem or not.  I checked and found a reference to an enterprise removal tool you can get through tech support.  I've opened a ticket so hopefully we can resolve this issue.  I'm not blaming webroot, I only want to rule it out since I will get no help from MS.
Userlevel 7
Please do let me know what Support has to say about it.  WSA does not generally leave remnants of the program itself, though following an uninstall it can leave behind data files and files associated with the browser extensions.

Being a holiday, Support while open is probably on reduced staffing, so I am sure reply will be a little slower than normal, but again please do let me know what they find!  (You can reply here using " @ " and I will get a notice in my email in case I miss your post  :)
Userlevel 7
Other than the normal uninstaller, I am not sure that there is a 'removal tool' for the current version of WSA.  I know of one for legacy 2011 and before products, but not the current version.  As said above, the uninstall doesnt really leave much other than data file type stuff, and so I don't think those type of leftovers would be causing the issue to remain.
David,

When I did the uninstall through the control panel it took about 2 seconds.  I was sceptical that it really uninstalled much of anything.  I went into the registry (regedit) and found 20+ instances of webroot.  I'm not sure what is going on but I'm certainly not having the kind of success you just mentioned (leaving only a few data files).  I'll keep searching.  I love a challenge to start the new year!
Userlevel 7
Hi kghadfield

Know what you are saying about the uninstall time...but then when you consider the install time that stacks up.  Also I completely agree that ideally an uninstaller should remove everything.  However, 20+ Registry entries left behind is somewhat minor in comparison to some other apps that I could name where 100+ & 200+ entries have been left after uninstall (which is why I use Revo...carefully...to identify and where appropriate remove such leftovers).

Whilst I also doubt the issue you have is being caused by the remnants you should, at this point, Open a Support Ticket describing your issue and providing the details of those remnants (if you still have them) to the Support Team to look at.  You never know...they may be able to come up with something in relation to this strange baehaviour...whilst you are exploring other avenues for a solution.

Either way, once you have a solution please post back to let us know as such information may be useful in rel ion to similar occurrences in the future, if they happen.

Regards

Baldrick
The issue is resolved.  I spent 4+ hours on the phone (and remote session) with MSN.  The issue escalated to Level 3 in their support structure.  It was finally determined that IE 9, Adobe Flash, and Active X were corrupted.  Again, this may have been a coincent but the original issue began when I installed WAS.  I'm a little hesitant to reinstall it now. 
Userlevel 7
Hi KG

Glad to hear that your issue is sorted...but I have to say that I have never ever had a corruption of IE, Flash or ActiveX either individually or together either before or since starting using WSA.  Personally I am somewhat suspicious of the diagnosis but then again...your issue is resolved which is the main thing.

Perhaps you should make sure that you have an image of your system, if and as and when you decide to reinstall WSA.

Let us know what you decide.

All the best

Baldrick
Baldrick,

I did reinstall WSA and everything is working fine.  Who knows what failed or why? 

Regards,

kg
Userlevel 7
Glad that it is all working fine now.  There may be no way to know just what happened, but coincidences do sometimes happen.  

Now that you have WSA re-installed, I hope you enjoy it, and come back anytime you have a problem, want to learn more, or just to chat a bit 🙂