Solved

PC crashes with webroot and win 8.1

• 6 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I had a complete PC crash when windows updated to win 10 anniversary edition. I had to reinstall windows 8.1. However everytime I downloaded and installed webroot, my pc crashed again. In fact windows kept saying before I installed webroot that there were known issues with webroot. The only way I could get windows back up and running was not to install webroot. I am now back to normal with windows 10 annivversary edition but am reluctant to reinstall webroot secure anywhere because of all the problems. I want to though as it is my favourite av. Any ideas why it refused to work with 8.1?
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 6 October 2016, 23:16

View original

8 replies

Hi Relvin,

First let me say that Webroot is 100% compatible with Windows 10. I have been using Webroot with Windows 10 since the first technical preview and with all subsequent insider previews up to and including the Anniversary edition without issue.

That being said, Microsoft is constantly breaking things with each new update, it seems. The BSOD problem started again with Webroot after the Anniversary update. I do know that Webroot is aware of the problem and are currently beta testing a remedy for this problem. This issue seems to be a lot more prevalent with users that use a Microsoft wireless keyboard.

Do you happen to be using a Microsoft wireless keyboard? If so you could try a wired keyboard temporarily.

Webroot has issued a fix for the problem until it can be fully resolved. Since you have Webroot uninstalled you won't need to shut down protection.

To apply the fix please follow the steps below:

1. Please download the following Zip file:
http://download.webroot.com/CompatibilityFlag.zip
2. Locate the SecureAnywhere icon in your system tray.
3. Right-click the system tray icon and select "Shut down protection." (You may need to adjust your policy to allow Webroot to be shut down manually via the tray icon. This is under "Basic Configuration".
4. A prompt confirming whether you want to shut down appears. Click Yes.
5. Depending on your settings, you may have to complete a CAPTCHA for confirmation as well.
6. Import CompatibilityFlag.reg from the .zip by double clicking on the file.
7. Reboot the machine after confirming the import.

After doing this you should be able to reinstall Webroot.

If you are still unable to get Webroot running then please submit a trouble ticket and support will look into this for you. Support is free with your paid subscription.

Hope this info helps. Please let us know either way. ;)

Thanks,
BD
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi, thanks for the very full reply. Yes I am using a wireless keyboard and the crash happened everytime I tried to type something from the keyboard. In fact I couldn't even shut webroot down before as as soon as I typed the letters to enable me to close then it crashed. Can I install the patch before I reinstall webroot? Curiously I have a latop running win 10 anniversary with webroot and it updated fine and continues to behave perfectly. So I guess it must be the wireless keyboard issue.
Hi Relvin,
You're welcome. Hope this gets you up and running again. ;)
@ wrote:
  Can I install the patch before I reinstall webroot?...

I starting thinking that if the fix is applied before installing Webroot that it may be overwritten in the registry upon install. So I think the best option would be to use a wired keyboard, if you have one readily available, while installing Webroot. Reboot after install and then shutdown Webroot protection (as per directions above), apply the fix and after rebooting again then try going back to the wireless keyboard.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,
BD

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks, I'm still waiting to get my wired keyboard back. I'm also using ms wireless mouse - assume best to use wired mouse while installing webroot for same reasons? Will report back once able to try everything out.
Hi Relvin,

Thanks for getting back to us. Just wanted to let you know that Webroot has fixed this problem in the latest release. So I would start your PC with the wired keyboard and then run a couple of scans with Webroot. Webroot should then update itself and you shouldn't need to run the fix that I mentioned. If you right-click the Webroot icon in your system tray you can select "Check for updates". If you are up-to-date it will inform you so, if not, it will update for you.

Hope this info helps,

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Got lucky with this issue.  Two wired Microsoft keyboards and two wireless Microsoft mouses.  Have no issues since updates.  I  understand it is a keyboard issue only.  Since keyboards are a stationary device, I chose wired.:D
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Final update (hopefully). I couldn't get hold of a usb keyboard so went for a straight installation of secureanywhere complete after backing everything up and creating a restore point. Installation was fine and everything seems to be working normally.

Thanks for the help 
@ wrote:
Final update (hopefully). I couldn't get hold of a usb keyboard so went for a straight installation of secureanywhere complete after backing everything up and creating a restore point. Installation was fine and everything seems to be working normally.

Thanks for the help 
That's great news, Relvin. Thanks for letting us know. You're very welcome and please don't hesitate to return to the Community should the need arise. Not only is there a great Community here willing to help, but there is also a lot of useful information to digest on a whole host of topics in regards to Webroot and computer technology in general. You may even get a chuckle or two from some of our non-techie posts as well. ;)

Have a good day,

BurnDaddy