Password Encryption

• 19 September 2013
  • 4 replies

Where can I learn about password encryption?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
That may depend on what kind of answer you're looking for.  I've included some wiki page links that may help answer some kinds of questions.

Webroot uses 256bit AES encryption for its password management feature and communicates exclusively through SSL.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.
Thank you for replying.

I'm interested in learning about the password encryption feature of SecureAnywhere Complete.  What does it do?  What indicates that it is working?  I just upgraded.
Userlevel 7
You wont see it working if thats what you mean? Encryption is done very quickly by the agent and is done in the background.All data that is transmitted to the cloud is encrypted using 256bit AES which is an industry standard. No user input is required its all automated. 

If you are interested in password generation/encryption wiki is a great place to start. Just to warn you thought it gets quite mathamatical after a while so be prepared! 
Userlevel 7
In terms of how to use it, this user guide contains good information on the password management feature, starting on page 73.

In terms of what it does, it records your username and password for any website you tell it to, encrypts it, and stores it in the cloud.  This allows you to create as many long, complex passwords as you like for all of the various sites you go to and not have to remember them yourself.  Doing so results in a higher level of security for those sites because the strength of the password can be as extreme as you like.  You can even use the "Generate Secure Password" feature (found in "tools" in the password management toolbar) to create a fully-randomized maximum-strength password.

Another neat thing about it: WSA already protects against keyloggers, but just to play devil's advocate, let's pretend a keylogger has made it through the shields.  If such a keylogger is running, it's not going to catch your automatically entered passwords that Webroot enters for you because you're not pressing any keys at all.  In effect, it's a secondary layer of protection against keyloggers.