Solved

Password Manager and Roboform

• 14 January 2014
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
I'm a newcomer to Webroot and am deciding whether or not to use Webroot's Password Manager. I've been using Roboform for several years and have been very happy with it. One of the things I like about it is that it is independent of any other program. That is one reason why I never used the password manager in Norton. The only reason that I'm considering using the one in Webroot is because it comes with the program and is licensed from Last Pass, which I know is very well thought of.

So I have a couple of questions. Where does Webroot's Password Manager store its data? Roboform stores it on each of my computers and in the cloud as well and it keeps everything in synch. Is that how Webroot does it or is everything stored in the cloud?

With Roboform I always have a choice about whether I want to type in a web address or pick it from my list of web sites stored in Roboform. Is that true of Webroot as well?

Using Roboform I can ask it to go to a website in a new window (a new tab, actually) or use the same window as I am already in. Is that possible in Webroot?

Those are me questions at the moment. If I think of others I'll post a new set.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MikeR 14 January 2014, 23:31

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi msaltz

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D...glad to have you with us.

It is my understanding that Webroot's Password Manager stores it's data in Cloud only (but I stand to be corrected on that).  Not being funny but I do not see what use having the data stored on the client would be as one would have no need for it unless wanting to access sites for which you need to be connected to the internet?

In the Password Manager you may type an address in the browser address bar and if already known and Autofill is enabled for the site then the login credentials will be automatically populated into the relevant fields, or one can select either recently used and/or favourite sites.

Re. your last question I am not quite sure I understand what you are asking...but I will chance my arm re. interpretation and say that when you select a favourite or recent site from the Password Manager's toolbar it automatically opens it in a new tab only as far as I have seen.

Hope that helps with your questions?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hey msaltz! Welcome to the Community. :D

1. Webroot stores the data in the cloud so that it can be accessible to you on multiple devices simply by adding the Password Toolbar to your browser.
  2. Yes, you can type the address, set it to auto-fill/auto-login and you can choose from your list of saved sites.
  3. You can middle-click the site to open in a new tab and you can right-click the site for a list of other options (copy URL, copy PW, copy username, go to URL, etc).
Badge +1
Thanks, Mike.
Userlevel 7
No problem. Please let me know if you need anything. :robothappy:
Badge +1
@ wrote:
Hi msaltz
Not being funny but I do not see what use having the data stored on the client would be as one would have no need for it unless wanting to access sites for which you need to be connected to the internet?

Perhaps (in this case) you are lacking in imagination.
Badge +1
I tried using Password Manager last night and this morning. I tried to import Roboform's data but it didn't work out well; there seems to be a difference between what PM's instructions say and Roboform's options so I forgot about that option and proceeded to work from scratch. To tell the truth, Roboform seems easier to use. Perhaps that's because I've been using it for so long that anything else seems more cumbersome. That wouldn't surprise me in the least since I've long since learned to distrust software reviewers who claim that certain things are "intuitive". You should have seen me when I first tried to use the all-so-intuitive Mac after years of PC use. I couldn't figure out how to do a thing. So much for "intuitive."

On the other hand, Password Manager is not why I bought Webroot just as a password manager of some sort is not why I bought Norton. I bought Webroot because it handles certain kinds of malware and PUPs better than Norton and see no real problem in running them both, although sooner or later I might abandon one of them.

The bottom line is I've decided to stick with Roboform, at least for a while. And, in fact, I'd prefer to have it as a separate program so that I'm not tied into a internet security program because of its password manager.  
I wanted to import my passwords from roboform but the proper options are not shown in roboform. I am confused and want a some help in importing to webroot from roboform

Mo
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@ wrote:
I tried using Password Manager last night and this morning. I tried to import Roboform's data but it didn't work out well; there seems to be a difference between what PM's instructions say and Roboform's options so I forgot about that option and proceeded to work from scratch. To tell the truth, Roboform seems easier to use. Perhaps that's because I've been using it for so long that anything else seems more cumbersome.

The bottom line is I've decided to stick with Roboform, at least for a while. And, in fact, I'd prefer to have it as a separate program so that I'm not tied into a internet security program because of its password manager. 
 @I've also been using Roboform for about 11 years and my experience when trying to change over was similar to yours so I also chose to stick with Roboform just seems easier to use.
Userlevel 7
Hi cumod

Please take a look at THIS & THIS previous thread on the same topic, that offer some suggestions as to how to proceed. They may be of assistance.

Regards, Baldrick