Solved

Please explain "View Active Connections" - varying results

• 27 December 2013
  • 4 replies

Why do I see four entries under Active Connections when there is only one connection (my PC).  Two of the connections are Type TCP4 and two are Type UDP4, not that I know what that stands for.  My Local Address and Remote Address are given with State of "Listening."  Second Local Address (whose?) and Remote Address are given with State of "Established."  Third and Fourth Local Addresses are given (whose?), Remote Address is blank, and State says "Open for 49 minutes." 

Why did I earlier in the day see "no active connections" when I was connected to the Internet and was even running a Webroot scan and all the green checks on Webroot were green and ON?
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 27 December 2013, 01:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello drgoodie!

That has to do with the Firewall, and it's monitoring of Internet connections.

A bit of very basic info:

TCP and UDP are both connection/communication types.  A Local address will be YOUR computer, a Remote address is a router or computer outside of your device.

The active connections will change, a lot.  Any time you open a program that communicates with other computers or the internet in any way, that process and the 'ports' that it uses will be listed.  As you close the program, the items associated with that program will be dropped from the list until you open it again.  There will often be items listed that you might not even expect WOULD be listed there: a lot of things connect to the internet that you would not expect to for reasons of simply getting software updates.

Here is the User Guide for View Active Connections  

I hope this helps a bit!

Thank you David!
Userlevel 7
Anytime 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Great explanation !  Clears up lots of questions I have always had and never asked about !  Thanks.