Solved

Possible to install webroot anywhere complete on microsoft surface tablet rt 8.1?

• 26 December 2013
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
Is it possible to install webroot anywhere complete on microsoft surface tablet rt 8.1?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 26 December 2013, 12:50

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi u2candothis

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

As far as I am aware you can only install apps from the Microsoft Apps Store, onto an RT-running machine.  And also, far as I know, Webroot does not make or sell an RT version of WSA.

So unfortuantely the answer to your question is 'No'. 😞 If you were using the Pro version, which I believe runs FULL Windows 8.1, then that would be another matter.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Hello u2candothis and welcome to the Webroot Commnity!

Windows RT is a different operating system than standard Windows, and it can only install 'apps' that are available on the Windows App Store.

Webroot, and all other AV vendors as well, do not have a product for this mobile operating system.  This is a decision by Microsoft.  Please see this Microsoft article regarding this.

EDIT: Baldrick beat me to it 🙂  Good morning my friend!
Badge +1
Thx for that Baldrick.
Just as I suspected.
Regards,
u2candothis
Userlevel 7
Hi u2candothis

No problem.  Happy to be of assistance.

All the best...and perhaps see you back one day here if you go full Windows 8 (or whatever is current at the time) in the future. ;)

Fare thee well, and Merry Xmas/Happy New Year.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Good morning David :D

I suppose that I should not be surprised to find you up at this time (even though it must be circa 5am your time). ;)

Just don't know how you do it.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Good morning David :D

I suppose that I should not be surprised to find you up at this time (even though it must be circa 5am your time). ;)

Just don't know how you do it.

Regards

Baldrick

Currently 615 AM here... I got up late, I forgot to turn on the alarm.  Usually I have to get up at 515 AM to get the kids up for school LOL!  They are off school for the Holidays... I however, still have to work so I will be leaving in around 45 minutes. 

It doesnt matter much how late I am up, I still have to get up plenty early every day.  Sigh...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good Morning Solly & David you guys are correct and it's not because of the OS it because of the ARM Based Processor

on Windows RT & the same as Windows Phone also It's just like iOS in the iPad and IPhone apart from the full Mac OSX but it is to bad both of these will not let a third party AV to protect them but it would be nice to see a SecureWeb Browser for Windows RT.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Morning Daniel

Hope that you are well? :D

Thanks for precising on this.  Very useful to know in terms of future posts from the Community.  Tool kit suitably updated. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Great clarification my friend, I wonder though if the ARM architecture COULD be infected if specifically written for? (Learning time for me!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes but again like iPhone, iPad and Assume Android based Tablets & Phones the OS is locked so the Virus can't do any damage but the Apps are the issue it could be something it's not supposed to being doing and to be protected on iOS & Android SecureWeb Browser would block any App seeing anything when doing online Banking and such and of course Android does allow AV's to protect them such as the Webroot Mobile AV App but the other 2 platforms are to stubborn to allow full security and of course Windows RT has it's own Windows Defender and that's not playing fare IMHO on Microsoft's part.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Thank you again, as always 🙂