Problem with optimization function after Windows update

• 14 April 2014
  • 2 replies

Hello,

It was either yesterday or a couple of days ago after Windows did an automatic update when I do a system optimization the file count stays at 47 (excluding after closing the web browser since there are many more) 50 Registry enteries, 5,242,985 is how many bytes it is saying it's removing each time I run it and it says it takes 1 second to run it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and that didn't help. I've also tried to uncheck one box for what to have be deleted when it optimizes it and that didn't do anything either. Can anyone please help? Is this just some sort of bug perhaps? Also, i'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Shade!  It is good to see you here on the Community.

Usually, the stats of the Optimizer are cumulative.  In other words, they show the total amount removed over the entire time that the software has been installed.  

If you are running Optimizer over and over, it will only take a second or two to run: as there is nothing new to remove, it just wont take much time to remove things :)

However, in your case having uninstalled and reinstalled, I am not really sure.  Possibly, even after uninstalling, the data files are remaining and thus not being cleared.

I do not use a 64 bit version of Windows, but we do have someone here who is very experienced who does.  He might be out for the night, but I am 'tagging' him so he will see this when he next logs in.

@  , can you provide somei insights to this?

Userlevel 7
Hi Shade,
Welcome to the Community!
Well in my opinion it isn't any kind of bug and prorably Optimizer works as it should.
As David mentioned before the stats of the Optimizer are cumulative.
After the Windows update certainly there was a lot of unnecessary files to delete and hence the high figures in the statistics you have quoted. Further optimizations will add their values and enlarge by overriding the total number of recovered space.
After reinstalling WSA data from Optimizer should be reset (at least for me it is so), although it is possible that this requires also manually removing the remaining components mainly responsible for WSA settings (I do it every time while reinstalling WSA in order to do a clean installation in the next step).

Regards,

Mike