Solved

Problems with Windows 10 "Anniversary" update

• 18 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Just wondering... My PC hung recently in the middle of what I think was the Windows 10 Aniversary download/update. I noticed at shut down that my PC was starting a Windows update - "do not power down, etc". At boot up the next day, the PC went to a screen asking to select keyboard format but both keyboard and mouse were dead - hung. After various failed attempts to get out of this state, I took the PC to a tech. He booted from external drive and checked it out. He said I had possible hard drive corruption and was running 2 antivirus products: SecureAnywhere and Norton Security. He set me up to run the Windows disc fixer and disabled both antivirus products. Told me to pick one and uninstall the other. I'm back up running fine with only SecureAnywhere in place. 

I see alot of discussion about running SecureAnywhere with other spyware products, both pro and con. And reports of system hangs while "upgrading" the Windows 10 Anniversary. 

Has anyone else on this forum had problems with the Windows 10 Anniversary load?
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 18 October 2016, 16:16

View original

7 replies

Hi vitec610,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

There have been reports of trouble with a few different things after the Anniversary update, including Anti Virus issues. But let me say that Webroot can run just fine with other AV programs. It was designed to do so. But this is generally not the case with other AV's, which is why the technician probably told you this. Many users here in the Community run Webroot alongside another AV program without issue. Personally, I feel that all you need is Webroot as that is what I've been running on 10 PC's for years and have NEVER been infected. Hard drive corruption could be a possibility. You can run a Disk check in Windows to look for, and try to correct any possible errors.

As far as system hangs, I have seen a couple of reports of the Anniversary update taking longer than usual. I just upgrade a PC over the weekend from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. While I have done this on a half dozen PC's and it took usually around an hour, this time it took nearly 36 hours as the update hung at 99% for most of that time, but it did finally finish. In cases where I already had Windows 10 installed and upgraded to the Anniversary edition it took 45 minutes to an hour, but I've seen reports of it taking much longer. There was also a problem with Webroot users getting a BSOD after the Anniversary update that was related to Microsoft wireless keyboards. But that issue has been corrected by Webroot.
If you have trouble with Webroot after the upgrade the best thing to do would be an uninstall/clean install as this will usually fix any issues. If you need to do that please do the following:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
If you still have trouble after that then please submit a trouble ticket and support will look into this for you.

Hope this info helps,
BD
Further Comments:

Apparently I was not thru with the Windows 10 Anniversary update when I wrote my previous remarks. Microsoft downloaded numerous updates and took over my computer for a few hours to install them with several reboots. All this happened after I had uninstalled and reinstalled SecureAnywhere and used the Norton Uninstaller to completely remove Norton Security. 

Now that Windows 10 Anniversary is completely installed, a new Windows Defender icon has appeared in my tray. Defender has established a firewall, updated its virus and spyware definitions, etc. and run scans. When I looked at the Defender configuration page, I could disable the Defender firewall but Defender said this was only temporary and it would turn the firewall back on after a while. 

What I concluded from this was Windows 10/Defender does not recognize SecureAnywhere as valid firewall/virus/malware protection. My other PC running Norton Security (with SecureAnywhere disabled) updated/installed Windows 10 Anniversary without adding the Defender icon, etc.

What I would like to do is expunge Defender and run only SecureAnywhere. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Other comments:

I noticed that the information on my SecureAnywhere panel is out of sync with what I know has happened. A few examples: Total scans count shows 3. I have run 4 since reinstall. System Optimizer no longer shows cumulative disc space recovered. My Report shows my last scan was October 15th. 

Hi vitec610,

Thanks for getting back to us. When you say Microsoft "took over your computer", do you mean that you allowed a remote session with a "technician". The reason I ask is that there are many support scams out there, including ones claiming to be from Microsoft.

As far as the firewall, because of the way WIN10 is designed it doesn't allow any AV to handle inbound firewall connections, only outbound (which Webroot handles) If Webroot is properly installed you should not have Windows Defender running, it will be disabled automatically upon installation of Webroot.

Giving what you've told me I think it would be best if you submit a trouble ticket so that support can check your computer and get Webroot installed correctly. This is a free service with your valid subscription.

Hope this info helps. Please let us know what support has to say.

Thanks,
BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I would follow BDs advice in the previous post and uninstall/reinstall Webroot, looks like the updates that installed after the initial install of Webroot have messed something up. Normally Windows Defender will disable itself when it detects another AV product has been installed.
As Sheltieuk has suggested, please try an uninstall/clean install to see if that corrects the issues. However, if you allowed a remote session, then please submit that trouble ticket. ;)

Here is some information we provide on tech support scams:

?

Neither Microsoft nor any other company sends emails, pop ups, or phone calls of any kind advising that you may have a problem.

If you clicked on any links, allowed them to remote into your computer, or went to any websites please Submit a Support Ticket ASAP.  (Now would be a good idea....)

If you would like more information, read on (After submitting that Trouble Ticket.....)

NEWS ARTICLE: Tech Support Scams are on the rise.

Microsoft never issues this type of warning or email or anything of a sort!  Please see the following link for Microsoft's official word on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

"Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes.

Cybercriminals often use publicly available phone directories so they might know your name and other personal information when they call you. They might even guess what operating system you're using.

Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and password or ask you to go to a website to install software that will let them access your computer to fix it. Once you do this, your computer and your personal information is vulnerable."

Also see Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx 

For more information here's what the United States Federal Trade Commission has to say on the subject::
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

"In a recent twist, scam artists are using the phone to try to break into your computer. They call, claiming to be computer techs associated with well-known companies like Microsoft. They say that they've detected viruses or other malware on your computer to trick you into giving them remote access or paying for software you don't need.

These scammers take advantage of your reasonable concerns about viruses and other threats. They know that computer users have heard time and again that it's important to install security software. But the purpose behind their elaborate scheme isn't to protect your computer; it's to make money."

This scam is common and has been around for quite a while.  Here is a good Webroot Blog article from April 2013 by Threat Researcher Roy Tobin.
http://www.webroot.com/blog/2013/04/30/fake-microsoft-security-scam/

Also add a good free Ad Blocker like the ones suggested below:

For Internet Explorer Ad Block Plus: https://adblockplus.org/

For Firefox uBlock Origin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss or Privacy Badger: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/privacy-badger-firefox/

Google Chrome uBlock Origin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en or Privacy Badger: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp

Thanks,

BD
No, I did not let some technician have remote access to my PC. Maybe "Microsoft took over my computer" was a bad choice of words. I thought it was a good description of what happened when I powered up my PC and the Windows 10 update process started. It took a couple of hours and I definitely was not in control. I will try the uninstall/reinstall again before opening a trouble ticket. Thanks for your interest in and suggestions for fixing my problems.
@ wrote:
No, I did not let some technician have remote access to my PC. Maybe "Microsoft took over my computer" was a bad choice of words. I thought it was a good description of what happened when I powered up my PC and the Windows 10 update process started. It took a couple of hours and I definitely was not in control. I will try the uninstall/reinstall again before opening a trouble ticket. Thanks for your interest in and suggestions for fixing my problems.
You're welcome, vitec610, and thanks for the reply. Was just covering the bases in case of that possible scenario. You're right, when the big updates happen we have no control until it's done. At least it didn't take a day and half as it did for me last weekend. ;)

Have a good weekend,
BD