Solved

Question about online storage

• 8 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
With the recent announcement regarding Crash Plan,  I'm forced to seek another cloud backup solution. Webroot's 25GB is more than enough storage for my needs but I am curious as to how they compare.  Need a stable and secure off-site solution for drive recovery.  Not going to be syncing data across mult-devices, more concerned with data encryption for security.  Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks Again,
Dan

icon

Best answer by Baldrick 9 September 2017, 22:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Danjo

I understand where you are coming from and using WRSA Backup and Sync options is a good alternative given that you get those features, plus the protection provided by WRSA itself.

Having said that if you are a Windows users then I would suggest OneDrive, again because it is built in, fully integrated with the OS and the storage quotas are generous.

It also depends on how much you want to backup to the Cloud...personally I do not hold that much therein preferring to image my SSD to rotating external hard drives. In my view more secure & more flexible in the case of a real issue,,,but that is just me.

You may want to take a look at these to reviews (HERE & HERE) from a couple of review sites that I trust and have found extremely useful in the past.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Baldrick,
Thanks for the links...it will keep me busy this weekend.  Definitely been considering OneD...for my windows solution..but I'm in a house divided between win...mac...ios...android...Upgrading from Webroot plus to Complete really would be the cheapest all in one solution.  Currently running multiple onsite  backups now,  just want to look at cloud options.  Do you know if Webroot's data center is located in USA ?  I noticed a lot of cloud backup servers  are located all over the globe. I certainly don't want my mission critical data sitting on servers in Pyongyang.

As always,  Thanks again
Dan

Userlevel 7
Hi Danjo

No worries...glad to be of assistance.

I can understand what you say and why you are considering Webroot if you are in a "house divided between win...mac...ios...android"...if you are needing to check out what is available for all of those OSes then take a look HERE for the relevant user guides...they may be of some help.

What I would also say if you are planning to several users using the same subscription, and want to make sure that each user's data is held discretely then you will need to look at each user having a different account (we can help with instructions on how to do that)...but please note that the WSA Backup size allocation is for the license/group and NOT per user; so 25 GB limit & 5 users/accounts means that each has a max of 5GB...worth considering/factoring into the costing equation.

As for where Webroot's data centre or centres are located...well obviously they have them in the US, but given they are a global company serving a global market I would expect them to have others strategically located to cover that business model.

I have managed to find THIS about one in the southern hemisphere...but seriously I cannot see them going within a country mile of the likes of North Korea or any other country likely to be or become hostile to the US.

You could always Open a Support Ticket and ask the Support Team the question.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Baldrick,
Thanks again for the awesome suggestions. Looks like I'm good to go. This community has been a one stop shop for all my computing questions...always a quick response with a solid solution.

Keep up the good work,
Dan