Ramsonware

Userlevel 4
I have a question.  Can WebRoot decrypt Crptxxx ramsonware without paying hackers?  Does Webroot have a ramsonware utility which recovers files stolen by ramsonware?  

Thanks

Popcorn

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
You could look at this article from earlier today https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/New-CryptXXX-Ransomware-Locks-Your-Files-Steals-Bitcoin-and/td-p/250202
It does not answer your question but it is a start.
Userlevel 4
Thanks.  I did read some of the Article I understand one can download Rannoh Decryptor utility.  the article has the instructions how to proceed however it looks complicated I am not a computer expert.  It be nice if Webroot can do this like Kaspersky.:D

Popcorn
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Thanks.  I did read some of the Article I understand one can download Rannoh Decryptor utility.  the article has the instructions how to proceed however it looks complicated I am not a computer expert.  It be nice if Webroot can do this like Kaspersky.:D

Popcorn
Off hand I am not sure but you may have to go via supprt.
Userlevel 7
I think that Webroot's appraoch is (i) to prevent the encryption in the first place, & (ii) if the 'crapware' does get on your system then it is monitored until itis determined to be bad & then the journalling is used to roll back the damage.

I do not see Webroot providing decryption utilities. ;)

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
No,  I don't have ramsonware on my computer I just ask the question to inquired about it whether Webroot has a utility to zap it.

PopCorn
Userlevel 4
Yes That sounds good. Prevention of ounce worth pound of cure.  Lol did I get that right?  I am very careful what I click on.  Emails I do not know who it is I delete I will not even open it 
Sometime ago I got a phone call from a man saying my computer was infected I told him it is not and hung up on him.

PopCorn
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes That sounds good. Prevention of ounce worth pound of cure.  Lol did I get that right?  I am very careful what I click on.  Emails I do not know who it is I delete I will not even open it 
Sometime ago I got a phone call from a man saying my computer was infected I told him it is not and hung up on him.

PopCorn
Yep...prevention is definitively better than cure...especially with ransomware as there are so few decryptor utilities around and they will never provide them for all variants of ransomware that is out and about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
" like Kaspersky "

I think do not importante kl Utilities .

You must try secure your systems & get backup from informations .

Before Comparison companies Please search about these : 

Bug In kaspersky Removal Tool For Macs' Flashback Malware Deletes User Settings

Apple Won't Let Kaspersky Develop Tools For iOS

and more carefully when hear or read  news  . 

I know valid and well Security companies never time do not like same KL . 

Userlevel 7
Hi Durantash

Can we please keep on topic and not go towards an indepth debate on Kaspersky and what they do or don't do? This is a webroot Forum and we need to keep focussed on the topic.

Thanks, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
Dear Baldrick ,

Thank you . ok . 

my target was Open mind users To cybersecurity .

Userlevel 7
Hi Amir

I understand that but we need to do that in ways that do not take us away from Webroot...this is a Webroot Forum and not a more general cybersecurity forum.

Some reference to other security products is OK as long as it is in the context of/relationship to WSA...links to sites that discuss other products is not really keeping to the Community Guidelines.

Regards, Baldrick