Solved

SSD Drive and System Optimizer

Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Hello Everyone.

I have a new computer with SSD Drive, and also few 2TB Regular hard Drives. I was told that using the System Optimizer, works like the Old Window Washer, it Bleaches, therefore, It can be Harmful to the SSD Drives, I have set up my computer, so Technically, only the applications are in my C The SSD Drives, and all my files are in the Regular 2TB Hard Drives, even if I add a file to my Desktop, it is not my SSD Drive. If Bleaching or Optimizing is bad what should I do ?
Thanks you very much.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 21 June 2017, 21:09

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi venus60

Hope that you are well?

Congratulation on the new computer. Wish you well to use it. ;)

I am wondering if you are somewhat confused between System Optimizer & Secure Erase? As far as I know System Optimizer is akin to CCleaner in that its job is to look into a number of the regular areas that 'space wasteful' items can accumulate and then clean them out, depending on the settings that can be found under 'Advanced Settings/System Optimizer'.

All this does is to remove data from the SSD in the same way as you would do manually when you click delete with one or more items highlighted in File Explorer. One does the latter regularly whether using an SSD or not...one has no choice and that will not damage an SSD. So the use of System Optimizer with an SSD is FINE.

In terms of Secure Erase, which is another feature; that is more akin to Window Washer in that one can specify how completely one wishes to delete items. As degree of completeness is achieved by increasing the of overwriting passes that the tool does, i.e., simple erase = 1 pass whilst more Secure Erase can be up to 7 passes over the same space on the SSD or Hard Disk being erased. The default is 'simple erase', by the way.

Now in terms of SSDs, 'wear' is different to what it is on traditional Hard Drives, and is determined by how many times the storage medium is overwritten (I am simplifying wildly here ;))...so obviously, given what I have written previously, if one sets Secure Erase to be very secure, i.e., 7 passes then potentially it will 'wear' the SSD out more quickly than if it were set to simple erase = 1 pass. 

However, suffice to say you have nothing to fear about your SSD 'wearing out' any time soon as a result of deleting or reading & writing data to in in everyday use. I have been using Secure Erase set higher than normal on my SSD for a good couple of years and the health of it is excellent.

Now, for completeness I should point out that, you should NOT defragment your SSD. They work differently from Hard Disks in terms of they way that they write/store data and therefore do not need defragmentation. Given that defragmentation works by reading data, moving & rewriting elsewhere on the device to bring the separated elements of an item of data together as a whole that will necessarily involve multiple writes, which equates to more wear. And as I said before this is not required for an SSD's good operation.

So, in summary, use of System Optimizer will not be harmful to your SSD. But what will increase the wear and therefore reduce the life of it, is defragmentation of it.

I hope that this rambling response in some way helps? But if not and you still have questions then please post back here and we will try to answer them.

Regards, Baldrick
A most excellent and thorough explanation, my friend.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I second that @! 😉
Userlevel 7
Thirded!!! That's a word, right?

Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Dear Bladrick>

thank you very much. First of All, I have designed my computer, that only Applications are Installed in my C Drive SSD Drive, Everything else is In my D Or F Drive, that are 2TB Regular Hard Drives.If I put any file In my Desktop it shows it is In my D Drive. With this Technique The D Drive The SSD Drive is not getting filled up. I though when you go to Utilities-System Optimizer- Optimize Now, It works together with the Different Levels of Secure Erase. so Tectonically, If you Right click on a file and select Permanently Erase With Webroot, Is that the Secure Erase ?? Also, Defragment is part of the Windows Correct ? Do I need to shut it off ?
Thank you very much for your help
Userlevel 7
HI venus60

You are more than welcome.

Now, to answers to your follow up questions:

1. If you Right click on a file and select Permanently Erase With Webroot, is that the Secure Erase ??

Yes, it is. It is Secure Erase set to its highest level when that option is selected.

However, when you run the System Optimizer it also uses the Secure Erase setting (that can be found & changed in  
   'Advanced Settings'), and it is set by default at the lowest setting, i.e., all files that System Optimizer removes are sent to  
   the Recycle Bin.

2. Also, Defragment is part of the Windows Correct ? Do I need to shut it off ?

No, you do not!    

Essentially, in Windows 7 Microsoft turned off defragmentation for SSDs. However, in Windows 10 the 'defragmentation
    tool' has changed to be more of a disk optimisation tool, therefore it remains enabled regardless of which type of storage
    you are using.

When it detects an SSD this enhanced tool optimises the SSD by issuing TRIM commands for it.

'TRIMing' allows the OS to inform the SSD which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped
    internally, so optimising the SSD.

Bottom line is that a traditional defrag is not performed on SSDs in Windows version 8 or above.

Hope that helps/clarifies things further? If not then please let em know and I will try to explain further.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Dear Baldrick:
Ok, Base on the Info you provided, when I am running the System Optimizer, By Default,  It also runs the Secure Erase at Low Level. , what should I do since I have a SSD Drive, Don't Run it ?
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hi venus60

You have nothing to worry about as at low level. PLease see rhis extract from the online help:

1. The Secure Erase pane displays. [img]https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/Content/Resources/AImages/secureerasepane.png[/img]
  2. Move the slider to the right to select any of the following options: [list]
  3. Normal — Deletes the files without overwriting them.
  4. Medium — Overwrites the data with three passes.
  5. Maximum — Overwrites the data with seven passes.
Note: These settings may have a significant impact on the amount of time it takes to run a system optimization.
[/list]And in terms of the default setting 'Normal' = low level, so deletes to the recycle bin WITHOUT overwriting. :D

Hope that clarifies and puts your mind at rest?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Dear Baldrick.
Thank you very much. YOUR ARE VERY HELPFUL.
WHAT WE DO WITHOUT YOU...
Userlevel 7
Good morning venus60

Hope that your Sunday is going well?

You are most weclome...and thank you for your kind words. :D

I am sure that 'we' would get on fine without 'me' as the Community is chocabloc full of able & generous members who are always willing to assist their fellow members...which is what makes this Community so great.

There shuld always be someone around ready & able to provide guidance & advise. ;)

Regards, Baldrick