Solved

Securing backup between multiple users

Userlevel 2
I looked at the different products. SecureAnywhere Complete seems to work best for me (I guess). I would like to install complete on 10 different devices. A mix of small business users with personal. I will only use the backup on 2 business PCs, 2 personal PCs, and the rest will have no backup. My question is:

1. How will I set this up to make sure other users can't access the other backups? I just want to make sure those other backups stay private from other users. One idea I had was to remove Webroot Backup and Sync from file explorer.

2. Is this the right product for me? I think endpoint would be too much.

3. To futher secure the backups from being viewed, can I install Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus version on the other non-backup PCs (under the same WSA Complete license)? Can I do this and is this a good idea?

4. If a computer was stolen, how would I go about to make sure the theft couldn't access the backups (if lets say, I had no Windows login)? Can a simple change of Webroot password suffice?

I'm just looking for some tips. I know this is business use and the business editions may offer more flexibility, but sometimes even family don't want to 'share' data between other users (ex: I may not want my daughter to see my backups...or vise versa).
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 9 May 2016, 19:02

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mar122999

In response to your first point what you need to do is to make surfe that each userr has their accounts, which then means that when they sign into Backup & Sync, or for that matter, the Password Manager their data is separated from the other users.

To set up multiple accounts please see this page from the online article viewer that should provide you with the infortmation you need and guide you as to how to use the permissions to restrict use of Backup & Sync and/or Passowrd Manager.

On the 2nd point I think that this is the right product for you given the size of your installation/system and what you want to do with it.

On the 3rd point the answer is 'No' the Complete license is for the Complete version and you would have to get a seperate license for the AV version if you wanted AV features...the keycode controls what features are available...but as I said in relation to your first point; you can limit each user account you set up to have or not have access to the additional Complete features such as Backup & Sync and/or Password Manager.

On the 4th point if you set each userr up with their own account then they will have their own password for their account so if one of the PCs gets stolen all you need to do is to change the password for the account in question, via the Online Console (HERE).

Have a read of the article I have linked to and if you have any further questions then come back here and we can go through the finer points in more detail.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Good info. Thanks for the fast reply.

1. So having multiple accounts with multipe users would completely separate the backups and make them secure against other users?

2. So would you recommend a setup such as this:

4 PCs with backup: 4 separate user accounts

6 PCs without backup: 1 account to simplify things (If they create a backup, it wouldn't matter to me on those 6 PCs). OR should I go ahead and create 6 other separate user accounts?
Userlevel 7
Hi mar122999

1. Yes, having multiple accounts; one for each user, would completely separate the backups and make them secure against other users (and as a bonus any passwords stored in the Password Manager would also be separated). One thing to note is that the back up allowance would be SHARED between the users, i.e., if you have 5 users and a 25GB allowance then each would get 5GB...but of course you can buy more space if required.

2. Yes, that sounds workable. So you would have 5 user accounts and agsint the 4 that you want backups you could give permissions to use the Backup & Sync feature, whilst for the other account (to be used by 6 users) you could actually remove the use of the Backup & Sync feature via permissions...so that they don't end up using up the Cloud Backup allowance that you have bought.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Thanks. How about user accounts. 

I noticed you need an email address for each user accounts. I would like to not use the emails of my employees. I have PCs such as FrontDesk (POS register), ShopPC (backend office PC). These computers may be used by multiple people. Would you recommend creating a separate email account for each computer myself via gmail or such? Or is there a workaround to just create a user ID instead of a email?
Userlevel 7
I am not aware of a workaround to just create a user ID instead of a email, so I would say that creating a separate email account for each computer yourself via Gmail or Microsoft Live, etc. would be the way to go.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the help. I marked this thread as solved.
Userlevel 7
Hi mar122999

No worries. Once you have things set up do come back and let us know if things are going the way you want them. My personal thoughts are that you should try out setting up the general account (for use by the 6 users) & one of the individual user accounts, as a trial and see if that suits.

If it does then you can expand the individual user accounts to the full 4 that you have mentioned...that way you don't do all of the set up and then find it is not what your were looking for. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
I just bought a 10 user license and am setting it up ATM. I made 4 accounts for the 4 backup users, but have a question. For the other 6 users that will not use backups, it look like I don't even need to sign in (only insert license key) for those users. Sounds about right?

In other words, for those 6 computers to see any of the other backups, they would need to log in to an account which they have no access to anyway. That's my thought.
Userlevel 7
Hi mar12999

Whilst you can proceed that way I personally would make sure that the permissions for that user are set so that they have no access Backup & Sync, etc.

But the choice is in the end up to you. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
The reason why I say it might be OK to leave the other 6 PCs not logged into any account is b/c I can't find a way to log them into the account other than using the "Backup" login. If I have it set to "no access" for backup, then it doesn't allow me to log into that account under those 6 PCs. It gives me an error message.

Unless you know of another way to log into an account in WSA, I don't see any reason to do so since they don't have access to the other email's and passwords. 

Does this make sense?
Userlevel 7
Hi mar12299

Seems to make sense to me if you do not want these users to use either Backup & Sync or the Password Manager feature.

Regards, Baldrick